General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrbiggs
(newbie) Mon 22-Feb-16 11:36:40
Print Post

FTTC - sync jump after power cut

[link to this post]

Vital stats - 80/20 FTTC via Zen since September 2011, standard HG612 into an Airport Extreme, Huawei cab. Circa. 500m line length. Sync speed (via the Zen portal, rather than the hacked firmware) has always varied between 58-65 Mb/s with long periods of stability. Not full line rate but decent enough and enough for my needs so I've never had cause to complain.

Last night my area (Sanderstead/Purley, CR2) had a major power cut. Everything went off, including street lights & local mobile cells, for an hour or so.

This morning I was curious enough to do a few speed tests to see what my line had retrained at. I was expecting more or less the same, or perhaps slightly worse, as crosstalk has contributed to a general downward trend over the last couple of years. I was surprised to see a consistent 74-75Mb/s download. Checking in to the Zen portal, I can see my line has resynced at 77351 bps 'Downstream', with a 'Sync Rate' of 79912. 'Upstream' is 16999 having been at 14141 previously.

Who knows how long it'll last, but I'm actually quite surprised, especially given my line length, and thought I'd share. I assume the power to the cab failed along with everything else and the UPS ran out after a while, so it would've had a full restart in effect. Maybe it's benefitted from this?

Edited by mrbiggs (Mon 22-Feb-16 11:37:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Feb-16 11:45:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC - sync jump after power cut

[re: mrbiggs] [link to this post]

Should take a power cut of 8 hours or more to kill a cabinet, and mobile towers are meant to have some back up too.

Most likely some people turned off lots of stuff and have not turned it back on, meaning that cross talk may be less for a while and once people come home from work today and turn on for the evening you may see a drop.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrbiggs
(newbie) Mon 22-Feb-16 16:46:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair enough, I will keep an eye. There's a fair chance that quite a few of my neighbours are of the 'turn off the router when I don't need the Internet' persuasion, much like my father-in-law...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 22-Feb-16 17:16:28
Print Post

[re: mrbiggs] [link to this post]

I wouldn't expect those rates to last long, I suspect your router may have been one of the first to reconnect. (-ie when there was little crosstalk) but now everybody else's routers are 'up' there will be crosstalk
thus: when your router next re-syncs I think it will be slower again.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:13:22
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I thought Openreach are suppose to rolled out vectoring to cut crosstalk?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:15:31
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Still working on it in the labs.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:16:59
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Blimey they been doing this for so long while. Why is BT taking too long?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:37:05
Print Post

Because G.FAST has become their preferred option.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:42:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But....G.Fast will drop speed still in crosstalk if vectoring never enabled!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:49:24
Print Post

G.fast uses vectoring by default and power masking will allow it to run without impacting VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to