General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User digitalface
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 18:25:28
Print Post

Whiteley FTTC available but orders keep being refused?

[link to this post]

Hi,

My friend lives in Whiteley, Hampshire, and this area is notorious for strange broadband issues. For the past few years he has struggled on 1mb ADSL. Checking his address on the BT DSL portal shows FTTC available to the cabinet. We're unable to check with his landline number on the BT DSL portal (https://www.dslchecker.bt.com) as he's with TalkTalk.

He's fed up with TalkTalk for various reasons so put in a new FTTC order (using his current landline number) on the BT website. Initially it accepted the order but over the next few days BT cancelled it. BT apparently say he's not on the Whiteley exchange at all, but is in fact connected to Locks Heath. Why this would matter I'm not sure as the street cabinet is the important bit I'd have thought?

If we try and place an order on Sky.com they say FTTC isn't available at the address.

Can someone help us with this mess please? The postcode is PO15 7DF, the DSL checker results are below

--------
Address EXMOOR CLOSE, WHITELEY, FAREHAM, PO15 7DF on Exchange WHITELEY is served by Cabinet 102
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 65.6 46.5 18.5 11.7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 54.3 32.4 17.8 8.4 -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
-----------

Edited by digitalface (Tue 01-Mar-16 18:26:38)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:14:24
Print Post

Re: Whiteley FTTC available but orders keep being refused?

[re: digitalface] [link to this post]

It seems that Openreach has an issue in their database.

They have no exchange name listed, i.e. its blank.
Name: ""

The cabinet is listed as 102.

Until that's sorted they probably won't be able to order fibre.

*** update ***
Just letting you know I have reported it to Openreach as a possible error in their database due to all cabinets on that exchange have an empty exchange name being returned for all of its cabinets i.e. 55, 102, 106, 107, 117.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 01-Mar-16 19:29:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:47:03
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yeah looks like an error BT Wholesale checker looks fine, so an ISP should be able to see what we have and push this sort of thing through themselves - alas computer says no is usually as far as you get.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:55:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yeah looks like an error BT Wholesale checker looks fine,

That was my first place I looked, just in case it was there one min and gone the next type of glitch, but yeah it looks fine there, unless they get updated to the broken one over night.

so an ISP should be able to see what we have and push this sort of thing through themselves

You would think that wouldn't you LOL

alas computer says no is usually as far as you get.

If this is the case then they must be using openreaches portal to do their checks.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 20:05:03
Print Post

The area has a long history of being problematic, so as soon as saw the names in original post knew what the issue would be

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:12:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

both exchange are enabled for FTTC but not all cabs
suggest you check with Hamshire CC to see if they intend to enable those cabs under superfast Hampshire -- that's the only way they will be enabled unless the community wants to look at co funding it
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-16 22:11:41
Print Post

Just letting you know that I have got a response for BT Openreach Fibre Enquires Team which says the following:

Thanks so much for alerting us to this problem.

I have passed it to the Fibre Communication team who look after the Where and When checker and have asked them to look into it.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Thanks again

Not too sure if its an issue in the Where and when checker, TBH I thought it was more of a database issue.

But only time will tell.

Paul
Standard User olicuk
(learned) Thu 03-Mar-16 14:53:24
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale DSL Checker says the following below the table:

WBC SOGEA is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.

Normally that would mean the cabinet was full; however rather than saying available, the FTTC status would normally say "Waiting List", which it doesn't.

Codelook shows this to be in the middle of a large area server by Whileley 102, 100% of that and surrounding cabinets is served by the same cabinet, and the cabinet was the first in Whitely to be enabled for FTTC back in 2010.

With the reported ADSL speeds it wouldn't surprise me if the cabinet was full.

Looking online, the cabinet seems to be here - FTTC cab visible since 2011.

There was also discussion of this same cabinet in 2014 here. Similar problems then with possible data errors.... :

In reply to a post by Ribble:
As stated PCP 102 is live and accepting orders for over a year. It is not at or near capacity. It would seem there maybe a data error somewhere, maybe because Whitely used have TPON.

Frustrating!

Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Sat 05-Mar-16 16:39:44
Print Post

Thank you all, and Paul for that email. I guess we just wait and see now then.

Where are you seeing that FTTC isn't available btw? Because the DSL checker says FTTC it is?

Weird though, I guess maybe the fttc cab is stood there mainly unused because no [censored] can order it. Who knows.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Mar-16 19:06:11
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by digitalis:
Thank you all, and Paul for that email. I guess we just wait and see now then.

Where are you seeing that FTTC isn't available btw? Because the DSL checker says FTTC it is?

Weird though, I guess maybe the fttc cab is stood there mainly unused because no [censored] can order it. Who knows.
Well every address on every cabinet on you exchange has the issue and not just your postcode.

Try your address on the BT Openreach Where and when page and you will see.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to