General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:00:06
Print Post

confusing openreach engineers

[link to this post]

hi, i was just wondering if i could get some help. My phone line dropped the other day when some openreach engineers accidentally disconnected the line from the telephone pole outside whilst they were putting in a new fibre cable on the pole, i went out to ask them if they were the cause of it, they shrugged and drove off. 2 days later another openreach engineer is sent out to fix my phone line. He fixes it in minutes then tells me i should be able to get fibre already (been waiting for 4 years) as the cabinet is live and has been for a while but with the caveat YOU MUST BE WITH BT. I know some neighbours have fttp so i thought i'd find out. So i phone up BT, give them my info and they tell me no. no plans in your area. the cabinet is not live. you cant get fibre.

if anyone can help i'd love to know if the area has any plans to upgrade and if the cabinet is actually live or not.. it's been such a confusing time trying to find out.

so the details: SHREWSBURY EXCHANGE - Cabinet 27 - postcode SY1 3EU

when i do the dsl wholesale checker i don't get fttc or fttp just the adsl+ at a whopping 2mbps so 2 kids streaming youtube and another on his xbox live is impossible. would love to know finally if there is any chance of getting fibre.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:05:27
Print Post

Re: confusing openreach engineers

[re: mr12345] [link to this post]

Some of the properties can get FTTP and some not.

Try the BT checker, select the ADDRESS option and only enter the postcode. That will list all addresses, so you can then see who can get FTTP and who cannot.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:13:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That link gives me a 404 error.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:21:06
Print Post

Having FTTP has nothing to do with the 'cabinet being enabled'.

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:34:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

so as my house is not on there i can't get fttp? the house next to me has it and is further away from the telephone pole? how does this work exactly? i personally would be happy with fttc, but i have no idea if my street is in the plans for that.

Edited by mr12345 (Tue 01-Mar-16 21:41:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:48
Print Post

[re: EddyTheDog] [link to this post]

It should be http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:44:42
Print Post

It works in the same way most things work on planet BT - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:45:17
Print Post

That area is a commercial rollout area, so you need to expect holes in their network, your area is/was part of the 2011 - 2012 FTTP Commercial Project, going by the NGA Doc for 2011 they was down as phase 7b, so not long after my are that was 5b.

This is there info.

SAU_ID: WNSY
        Name: SHREWSBURY
    Postcode: SY1 3EU
 SAU_NODE_ID: {WNSY}{P27}
     EO Flag: No
     % Lines: 100%
      Uplift: 12.18
       Phase: 7b
    Deployed: Yes
FTTC or FTTP: FTTP

You really need to keep asking their ISP and pester them due to your postcode on that PCP Cabinet should get FTTP, well according to the NGA Docs.

This is where commercial areas are being shafted, now if it was a BDUK area that was down for FTTP all that postcode would most likely get it.

If its anything like my postcode/area you will probably find out its not finished yet, try getting your local MP involved.

Normally the entire postcode gets the FTTP, I have seen BT rollout FTTP on just 1 line on a different PCP cabinet so that they complete the whole post code.

Can anyone else on your phone pole get FTTP?

TBH I would email Openreaches Fibre enquires team on enquire@openreach.co.uk

Give them your Full Address along with your landline phone number and say that you was down for FTTP back early mid 2014 and that you would like to know when your going to be able to order FTTP.

Be polite to them in your email.

BTW what's the door number, you can PM it to me if you don't want to say it here.

Paul
Standard User MacLe0d
(learned) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:49:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Having FTTP has nothing to do with the 'cabinet being enabled'.

As I understand it you have native FTTP you don't get a new fibre cabinet. As I believe you are connected by fibre directly to the exchange bypassing the need for a cabinet.

You should be able to tell if you can can/will be able to receive FTTP as there should be a fibre manifold on the telegraph pole. I'm sure someone can link a picture of exactly what it looks like.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:56:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr12345:
so as my house is not on there i can't get fttp? the house next to me has it and is further away from the telephone pole? how does this work exactly? i personally would be happy with fttc, but i have no idea if my street is in the plans for that.
You are down for FTTP so you cannot get FTTC.

If there are people on your pole that can get FTTP, then it could be one or more of the following:
  1. The all 7 or 12 fibres going up your phone pole are used up and you will have to wait for them to install another fibre tubing up it.
  2. Its a database error/issue.
  3. BTOR are still rolling it out but have put your area on hold

You need to get your local MP involved.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to