General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:00:06
Print Post

confusing openreach engineers

[link to this post]

hi, i was just wondering if i could get some help. My phone line dropped the other day when some openreach engineers accidentally disconnected the line from the telephone pole outside whilst they were putting in a new fibre cable on the pole, i went out to ask them if they were the cause of it, they shrugged and drove off. 2 days later another openreach engineer is sent out to fix my phone line. He fixes it in minutes then tells me i should be able to get fibre already (been waiting for 4 years) as the cabinet is live and has been for a while but with the caveat YOU MUST BE WITH BT. I know some neighbours have fttp so i thought i'd find out. So i phone up BT, give them my info and they tell me no. no plans in your area. the cabinet is not live. you cant get fibre.

if anyone can help i'd love to know if the area has any plans to upgrade and if the cabinet is actually live or not.. it's been such a confusing time trying to find out.

so the details: SHREWSBURY EXCHANGE - Cabinet 27 - postcode SY1 3EU

when i do the dsl wholesale checker i don't get fttc or fttp just the adsl+ at a whopping 2mbps so 2 kids streaming youtube and another on his xbox live is impossible. would love to know finally if there is any chance of getting fibre.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:05:27
Print Post

Re: confusing openreach engineers

[re: mr12345] [link to this post]

Some of the properties can get FTTP and some not.

Try the BT checker, select the ADDRESS option and only enter the postcode. That will list all addresses, so you can then see who can get FTTP and who cannot.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:13:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That link gives me a 404 error.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:21:06
Print Post

Having FTTP has nothing to do with the 'cabinet being enabled'.

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:34:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

so as my house is not on there i can't get fttp? the house next to me has it and is further away from the telephone pole? how does this work exactly? i personally would be happy with fttc, but i have no idea if my street is in the plans for that.

Edited by mr12345 (Tue 01-Mar-16 21:41:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:48
Print Post

[re: EddyTheDog] [link to this post]

It should be http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:44:42
Print Post

It works in the same way most things work on planet BT - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:45:17
Print Post

That area is a commercial rollout area, so you need to expect holes in their network, your area is/was part of the 2011 - 2012 FTTP Commercial Project, going by the NGA Doc for 2011 they was down as phase 7b, so not long after my are that was 5b.

This is there info.

SAU_ID: WNSY
        Name: SHREWSBURY
    Postcode: SY1 3EU
 SAU_NODE_ID: {WNSY}{P27}
     EO Flag: No
     % Lines: 100%
      Uplift: 12.18
       Phase: 7b
    Deployed: Yes
FTTC or FTTP: FTTP

You really need to keep asking their ISP and pester them due to your postcode on that PCP Cabinet should get FTTP, well according to the NGA Docs.

This is where commercial areas are being shafted, now if it was a BDUK area that was down for FTTP all that postcode would most likely get it.

If its anything like my postcode/area you will probably find out its not finished yet, try getting your local MP involved.

Normally the entire postcode gets the FTTP, I have seen BT rollout FTTP on just 1 line on a different PCP cabinet so that they complete the whole post code.

Can anyone else on your phone pole get FTTP?

TBH I would email Openreaches Fibre enquires team on enquire@openreach.co.uk

Give them your Full Address along with your landline phone number and say that you was down for FTTP back early mid 2014 and that you would like to know when your going to be able to order FTTP.

Be polite to them in your email.

BTW what's the door number, you can PM it to me if you don't want to say it here.

Paul
Standard User MacLe0d
(learned) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:49:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Having FTTP has nothing to do with the 'cabinet being enabled'.

As I understand it you have native FTTP you don't get a new fibre cabinet. As I believe you are connected by fibre directly to the exchange bypassing the need for a cabinet.

You should be able to tell if you can can/will be able to receive FTTP as there should be a fibre manifold on the telegraph pole. I'm sure someone can link a picture of exactly what it looks like.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:56:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by mr12345:
so as my house is not on there i can't get fttp? the house next to me has it and is further away from the telephone pole? how does this work exactly? i personally would be happy with fttc, but i have no idea if my street is in the plans for that.
You are down for FTTP so you cannot get FTTC.

If there are people on your pole that can get FTTP, then it could be one or more of the following:
  1. The all 7 or 12 fibres going up your phone pole are used up and you will have to wait for them to install another fibre tubing up it.
  2. Its a database error/issue.
  3. BTOR are still rolling it out but have put your area on hold

You need to get your local MP involved.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 21:58:52
Print Post

[re: MacLe0d] [link to this post]

They have the fibre manifold, I just checked on Google Maps, they seem to of had it since 2012, however 2012 was the last map update so I cannot see if they now have any cables coming out of it.

Paul
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:05:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

thanks for all the answers guys, yes the house across the street is on the same pole and has fttp - the engineers that were working on it said they were "renewing" the fibre manifold, not sure what he meant by that so asked him instead if he was the cause of my phone line being disconnected, to which he replied "not my problem" then drove off. such a nice chap.

door number is 23

if this recent "renewal" doesn't make it available to me i'll definitely get in touch with the ISP and MP if the wonderful Sky cutomer support doesn't sort it out.

about the openreach engineer telling me i could only get it if i changed to BT, was he just talking out of his [censored] or not?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:08:31
Print Post

BT Retail (Consumer), I think Zen, and Plusnet are the only well-known ISPs to offer it. Possibly Claranet.

The others can, but the potential number of customers doesn't justify the training and such costs so far as the accountants are concerned.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:08:41
Print Post

if the area is enabled and yopu are with a Service provider that does not offer the product you then have a choice to make

always use the BTWholesale DSL checker and use your address as that will tell you what available at your premise rather than what your service provider wants to offer you
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:15:39
Print Post

You won't get it on Sky, Sky don't offer FTTP.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:21:57
Print Post

These are the homes that are listed that can and cannot get FTTP:
[YES]
16, 20, 21, 24

[NO]
18, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 37

I got the above info from the BTW DSL Checker, not check BTOR's Where and when page yet.

*** update ***
Nope the Where and when page is the same.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 01-Mar-16 22:24:05)

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:22:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

right so it's goodbye to sky if i want to get fttp.
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:24:00
Print Post

yes 24 is on the same pole as my house. so potentially i can get it but i have to kick up a fuss? or is that set in stone until they decide to change something?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:28:23
Print Post

Were those on two different cabinets?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:30:30
Print Post

as far as i can see we're all on cabinet 27
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:31:50
Print Post

yes 24 is on the same pole as my house. so potentially i can get it but i have to kick up a fuss? or is that set in stone until they decide to change something?
I don't really know.

I know BT originally said I wasn't down for fibre and only when I said I was and that I already have all the hardware in their chamber and up the phone pole they then responded with one sec and put me on hold and then came back a few mins later and said yes I am.

I say contact your local MP now, sooner the better, due to the Fibre hardware in the chamber I think can only support up to 20 lines and the fibre tubing up the pole has space for 7 or 12 lines and it would really suck if you was the 13th and have to wait for additional hardware to be installed.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 22:33:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Were those on two different cabinets?
Nope their phone lines are all using PCP 27.

Had to just dbl check LOL

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Mar-16 23:17:43
Print Post

There was a similar case a few weeks ago where there had been some "network re-arrangement" carried out and the various databases hadn't caught up with each other. That was why I asked.

Suddenly instead of being split between two cabs, one enabled and one not, they magically all ended up on the enabled one.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Mar-16 23:41:58
Print Post

Simplest route email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com and will pester to see if things can be resolved so that providers that do provide native FTTP e.g. BT, Plusnet, Zen will see it on the checkers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-16 00:18:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Simplest route email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com and will pester to see if things can be resolved so that providers that do provide native FTTP e.g. BT, Plusnet, Zen will see it on the checkers
Andrew did you ever hear back about mine?
I sent you the required email back 25 Aug 2015 but you missed placed it or something and asked for me to resend you the email which I did on 04 Oct 2015, I don't recall hearing anything back from you.

If you recall it came with a nice long essay of the situation tongue

I know my local MP told me that BT said that they had identified a potential issue with my records on 21 Dec 2015 and that they are investigating it and that it will take a few weeks to completed, and on the 08 Feb 2016 when my local MP questioned it, BT said the case is currently with their planning team, who are still investigating the issue, and that was it.

They didn't even explain what these records are and what is wrong with it.

Thanks

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Mar-16 00:27:37
Print Post

If I recall yours is on the 'they need to do work' list, rather than a classical paperwork error

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-16 00:42:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If I recall yours is on the 'they need to do work' list, rather than a classical paperwork error
Did they say what needs to be done.
I know they are working near my exchange doing fibre work.

Second lot of work on roadworks:
Date: 7 Mar - 8 Mar
Desc: Safe Access to Underground BT footway and carriageway boxes for fibre cabling and jointing works in existing duct. Required for new customer connection we did not finish all the work last time we where there that is why we need to rebook it.

The last lot of work was being done on the 23 Mar - 24 Mar, so they must of run out of allocated time.

So I am assuming that they are working near an Aggregation Node that could be for our area and some of the remaining areas that are also in the same boat as us etc.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 02-Mar-16 00:45:53)

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-16 15:03:57
Print Post

So i got in touch with openreach, they said that there is an issue with capacity. Thing i don't understand is that how could there be an issue with capacity if only one house is enabled off our telephone pole (manifold) and none of the others are? Is there anything else along the line that might have hit capacity? alternatively would they remove the fttp status of houses if they had already had it installed.. as i'm pretty sure nobody in the street has it.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 18:22:57
Print Post

Look at the link in this thread

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4468116-pos...

Zarjaz is a FTTP installer
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-16 22:04:15
Print Post

So i got in touch with openreach, they said that there is an issue with capacity. Thing i don't understand is that how could there be an issue with capacity if only one house is enabled off our telephone pole (manifold) and none of the others are? Is there anything else along the line that might have hit capacity? alternatively would they remove the fttp status of houses if they had already had it installed.. as i'm pretty sure nobody in the street has it.
From my understanding which could be wrong so I am sure people will correct me if I am wrong, but the FibreDP in BT's chamber by the phone pole (if over head wires) has up to 120 strands go into it and only takes 20 or less strands and passes through the rest for the next FibreDP on its route which also takes 20 or less strands and so on.

Now the issue is, if your are on the last FibreDP on its route, it may not have the full amount of strands that the FibreDPs had before this one, so maybe there was only 1 left and that home(s) took that one.

So I am guessing that another splitter node might be required or maybe another fibre cable to support the remaining lines.

But like I said I am probably completely wrong here LOL

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to