General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kinnyboy
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:00:16
Print Post

Non NTE5 and BT Infinity 2

[link to this post]

HI everyone, 1st post and hoping it's the right place!

I am on super slow BT broadband and was today told I could upgrade to Infinity2 which I have asked to do. I currently have an old non NTE5 master socket which I feel sure will need to be upgraded. The BT salesperson insists that HomeHub 5 has everything internal and so the old master socket is fine. I'm pretty sure I need an upgrade to an SSFP master socket. Can anyone tell me who's right, and if I do need an master socket upgrade am I going to be hit over the head with a £130 call out fee for an engineer?

grateful for any help
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:06:20
Print Post

Re: Non NTE5 and BT Infinity 2

[re: kinnyboy] [link to this post]

It is best to use a SSFP master socket to get best speed. However for a self-install, micro-filters on extension sockets coupled with the removal of the ring wire should give good speed.

There is nothing built-in to the HH5 regardless of what the BT salesperson says smile

The HH5A still does not support G.INP. The HH5B will if you're on a Huawei cabinet.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:07:13
Print Post

These days BT do a "self-install", where they give you a HomeHub 5 and a dangly filter, just as with ADSLx. You no longer normally get an engineer visit.

This is far from the best way of doing things on FTTC. Given a modern NTE5 then you can get a VDSL faceplate for it from many places, but technically you are not allowed to replace the NTE yourself.

If you get an engineer visit for anything they are supposed to replace the master with a modern one, free. I wouldn't wish it upon yourself if I were you.

What are the FTTC estimates for your line from this checker?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:11:41
Print Post

You don't say, is it just the single 'old' NTE you have, as in are there no other working phone points in the property ?

If so the single micro filter will be fine.

Standard User kinnyboy
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:13:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The checker is giving me an 80/20 estimate.

So obviously the SSFP socket would be desirable but I can't see them sending anybody to upgrade it if it can be bodged using dangly filters. Surely a non NTE5 socket is going to be a problem though?

edit: yes its the sole socket in the property and it's an old NON NTE5 one. I don't require any extensions.

Edited by kinnyboy (Thu 03-Mar-16 20:15:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:30:16
Print Post

The SSFP mainly fixes problems with extension wiring.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:32:32
Print Post

If its the only socket then there are no worries at all

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-16 20:59:11
Print Post

edit: yes its the sole socket in the property and it's an old NON NTE5 one. I don't require any extensions.

Then, as the others have said, that'll be fine.

Standard User kinnyboy
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-16 22:40:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you all very much for your help. A fantastic forum smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Mar-16 01:11:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The HH5A still does not support G.INP. The HH5B will if you're on a Huawei cabinet.

You still haven't comfirmed this....

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to