General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Embraer
(member) Thu 03-Mar-16 23:30:23
Print Post

Openreach FTTP ONT location

[link to this post]

Could people give me an idea as to where Openreach has been installing their ONTs for an FTTP install. Our site appears to be running the fibre into the garage, mounting the OBT and battery backup there and then connecting an Ethernet cable from there into the study where the house plan shows the "master" socket to feed into the property. All this sounds ok but the thing that worries me is what is the ONTs operating temperature range in relation to an unheated garage and how robust is the equipment to an outside environment? This isn't the Arctic but we do can well below zero in the UK on occasion

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Mar-16 08:05:27
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP ONT location

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

Well I have been told in another post that they decide where it goes, which kind of sucks, having a fibre cable trailing through a house is a bad idea.

I say explain to your ISP before you order FTTP where "you" would prefer it to go, and also explain this to the engineer(s) when they arrive and see what they say, you might be lucky.

Paul
Standard User keith969
(member) Fri 04-Mar-16 08:46:41
Print Post

Probably the battery backup is the most susceptible to temperature, don't know what batteries are used but e.g. lithium cells don't like being charged at less than 0C.

BT Infinity 2, 43mbs down 9mbs up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-16 09:41:42
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

They're NiMH and should be fine http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Fri 04-Mar-16 10:00:37
Print Post

I doubt very much temperature is an issue in an unheated garage in the UK. What will be more important is damp. If the garage was subject to a lot of condensation for instance, then that won't be good for the electronics as I don't think ONTs are sealed against that.

I suppose the good news is that all this equipment is the responsibility of OR if it goes wrong.
Standard User libf
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 10:24:06
Print Post

Mine is going in the cupboard under the stairs.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Fri 04-Mar-16 13:57:44
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well I have been told in another post that they decide where it goes, which kind of sucks, having a fibre cable trailing through a house is a bad idea.

I say explain to your ISP before you order FTTP where "you" would prefer it to go, and also explain this to the engineer(s) when they arrive and see what they say, you might be lucky.

I'm not sure explaining anything to your ISP about what you would prefer would do much good, but it's definitely advisable to be present for the first stage appointment especially if you want a 'non standard' installation, which goes without saying if the CSP is to be fitted internally.

The easier you make it for the installer to achieve your request, the more likely it will be complied with.

In my case (supported by a comment by TBB member Zarjaz) I fitted a continuous flexible metallic conduit through the loft, down via a chased-out wall, then under floorboards etc. to a downstairs (indoor) utility cupboard discussed in this post and following posts (viewed threaded, i.e. not flat view) where I had the CSP fitted.

The 'internal' fibre was then routed through a flexible plastic conduit to the room above where I had my ONT fitted, before being spliced at the CSP. Excluding inside the utility cupboard, total visible fibre inside the house is less than 150mm where it emerges from the wall and plugs in to the ONT, and when the OR installer had finished he commented that he wished all his jobs were as easy as mine!

Bear in mind that you must stick to the guidelines in the OR Developers Guide regarding bend radii etc.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 04-Mar-16 16:03:35
Print Post

It is no good explaining to your ISP where you want stuff put, that will not get through to the engineer.
In my case I made certain I was at my property for both visits (you have to be for the second visit anyway).
On the first visit I explained where I would like the CSP put if possible and showed them where I wanted the ONT to be so they fully understood.
I have an overhead feed and they were very accommodating within the physical constraints of how much of an angle they can bend the ducting cable through and still successfully blow the fibre. The CSP was put in easy reach of where the hole would go through the wall to the ONT. The distance between the CSP and the ONT can be 30m maximum.
On the second visit the first thing the engineer wanted to know was where exactly I wanted the ONT to go which he then did very neatly.
When I am not using the computer the room the ONT is in is not heated which is no problem. No damp mind which you can get in a garage which is another thought.
Incidentally we had a power cut recently and the backup battery lasted for about 2 hours.
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Fri 04-Mar-16 17:42:39
Print Post

Mr Openreach knocked on my door, asked me where the ONT was going, then went ahead and installed it where I asked.

I can't really be any more helpful than that lol
  Print Thread

Jump to