General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sdevil
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:13:56
Print Post

Moving back to UK- Which Fibre connection to get?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Just moved back to UK and need to get connected to the net.

I am based in Birmingham - Great Barr area and the exchange is fibre ready. Our main usages is Online Gaming, Kodi / Netflix streaming, watching cartoons online etc.

I need some advise in terms of which ISP to go with so that streaming in smooth and dont get problems with throttling, amount of data usage etc.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Regards
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:19:07
Print Post

Re: Moving back to UK- Which Fibre connection to get?

[re: Sdevil] [link to this post]

Do you have, or will you be getting Sky TV?

What does this checker give for your address. Please copy and paste the table and the line above it, removing your address from that line of course.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Sdevil
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:30:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I am not sure yet if i will be getting sky or not as we generally use KODI a lot.

Also please see details as requested.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2d8riqa.jpg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:39:21
Print Post

That's great from the table. It also confirms that you can get FTTC, as the exchange doesn't have it to all locations. See this checker.

Have to go now but others will come in with ISP suggestions based on those two outputs.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Sdevil
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:42:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@ RobertoS..... Thats great... Thanks for your help.

So atleast i can get FTTC.

Now lets see what the suggestions are regarding ISP
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:02:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sdevil:
I am based in Birmingham - Great Barr area and the exchange is fibre ready. Our main usages is Online Gaming, Kodi / Netflix streaming, watching cartoons online etc.

I need some advise in terms of which ISP to go with so that streaming in smooth and dont get problems with throttling, amount of data usage etc.
Well well, I used to live in Great Barr quite close to the Newton Road smile

I would say your usage profile rules out BT. How about Sky Fibre Pro - I have that wink

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Sdevil
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:35:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Sdevil:

Well well, I used to live in Great Barr quite close to the Newton Road smile

I would say your usage profile rules out BT. How about Sky Fibre Pro - I have that wink

I live near Jayshaw avenue which runs parallel to newton road smile

I'll check sky fibre pro out... But whats the general opinion onf PlusNet unlimited Fibre Extra?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:43:50
Print Post

Many a carefree afternoon wasted away in the Hamstead and the Malt Shovel smile

I do believe you have to phone Sky to get Sky Fibre Pro, it wasn't on the website when I ordered it.

Other people may have a view of Plusnet but these days it's just a brand name of BT and to be avoided as far as I'm concerned.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Sdevil
(learned) Fri 04-Mar-16 21:57:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

What about Virgin? Is it any good these days?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-16 22:14:37
Print Post

Dunno, but if it's available at your new location it's certainly one to add to the list.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to