General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sat 05-Mar-16 20:09:43
Print Post

Open reach FTTP/H lack of ISPs?

[link to this post]

Hi all, *hopefully* we will be getting FTTP in a few months here as it seems work is underway. Since it is all still OR, why do so few ISPs want to offer a connection? Surely there can't be much difference for them can there?

If you have FTTc everyone and his dog will take you on, but I've contacted several ISPs and explained we should be getting native FTTp and most have replied they dont offer/deal with that. Why????

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Mar-16 20:37:59
Print Post

Re: Open reach FTTP/H lack of ISPs?

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

All the support staff would need a load of training for a peanuts number of customers at this stage of FTTP rollout, for one.

Plus the scripts needing writing, the updates to the web pages advertising the products, the online help pages which tend to be auto-respond these days, the updates to the order system.

Completely uneconomic.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Mar-16 21:15:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Branding has been mentioned, i.e. the Openreach ONT and some providers not liking the inability to supply their own ONT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 05-Mar-16 21:28:30
Print Post

It's still pretty poor from a strategic point of view given that TalkTalk and Sky have been bleating about lack of fibre deployment by OR.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 05-Mar-16 21:39:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Given this s is GPON, I don't see OR allowing alternative ONTs as the correct configuration and interworking is critical. The ONTs in a GPON environment are a bit like cable modems in that regard. A single ONT could wreck an entire spitter's traffic as it's working in a broadcast domain and transmissions have to be carefully controlled. We know that the LLU ISPs want PTP, but given the extra costs involved and duct occupancy issues, I don't see that happening on residential FTTP services unless the regulator mandates it, which would surely hold back OR deployments of FTTP even more.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 06-Mar-16 15:31:37
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Thank you all. But I do find it ironic that everyone is shouting about FTTP being the way to go... yet no one seems to want to take it on when it is installed.

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Mar-16 15:45:39
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

The takeup of FTTC where available isn't high. I can't find the figures at the moment.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Mar-16 15:50:08
Print Post

22% is current FTTC take-up but climbing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Mar-16 16:01:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks smile.

Print Thread

Jump to