General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sidcrighton
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-16 01:27:24
Print Post

Do BT still supply VDSL2 modems?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know if BT still supply Openreach-branded VDSL2 modems, such as the Huawei HG612, with new FTTC line installs? And if so, is it only on certain types of service (e.g. on a business line, or some other restriction), and if the modem is costed separately or is included for "free"?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 08:26:34
Print Post

Re: Do BT still supply VDSL2 modems?

[re: sidcrighton] [link to this post]

Openreach will supply the modems IF the CP (Talk talk, Sky, BT, etc) has requested that they do so.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-16 08:33:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Openreach will supply the modems IF the CP (Talk talk, Sky, BT, etc) has requested that they do so.

Until tomorrow, and then they're no longer available as part of the install - a CP cannot choose to have them even if they want.

In practice, for the last couple of months at least, you don't always get them even when it is stipulated unless you ask and even then half the time engineers don't have them available, and for a while I suspect if you find a friendly engineer that has some, you'll get one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User derekdel
(member) Mon 14-Mar-16 08:38:42
Print Post

Until April this year, VDSL then a year warranty until April 2017

I had one supplied last week

Line 1u BQM
Line 2p BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 08:47:54
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Until tomorrow, and then they're no longer available as part of the install

Interesting, I knew they were going, I hadn't been told a date though.
and for a while I suspect if you find a friendly engineer that has some, you'll get one.

You have to scan the barcode of those you use and the details uploaded, so I suspect you'll need to find a friendly and somewhat dim engineer now.

(Should be fairly easy TBF before anyone else says it)

Standard User sidcrighton
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-16 09:51:02
Print Post

Thank you gents. Aside from the discontinuance of these modems, just a couple more questions on them from my end-user point of view:
1. It makes some sense that these boxes are getting obsolete now as there are so many routers with built-in VDSL modems, but did the HG612 confer some benefits that an integrated modem/router couldn't - such as being able to participate in a managed service of some kind?
2. As Openreach-branded products, there appear to be two near-identical looking versions - the Huawei HG612 and the ECI B-focus. For getting the absolutely best service possible, should the models from these manufacturers be used with the same manufacturer's FTTC cabinet, i.e. Huawei with Huawei and ECI with ECI? Or is it just a coincidence that the same two vendors are involved?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:03:39
Print Post

In answer to question number 2, it is commonly held theory that using a VDSL modem of the same supplier as the DSLAM is a 'good thing'.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:08:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In answer to question number 2, it is commonly held theory that using a VDSL modem of the same supplier as the DSLAM is a 'good thing'.

Commonly held unproven theory ...

Before the G.INP changes which cloud the issue, you could not guarantee it either way. I personally had around 2Mbps better performance from an ECI than a Huawei on a Huawei cabinet. I have seen two modem from the same manufacturer give 5Mbps difference on the same line...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:15:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If it were a proven theory it wouldn't be a theory.

Plus, that something is believed to be "a good thing" doesn't mean it is always the case.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:23:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I didn't say I believed it ! wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to