General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jax2
(member) Mon 14-Mar-16 20:38:35
Print Post

Appeal mechanism?

[link to this post]

I have an acquaintance just down the road from me who ordered FTTP with BT in July 2015 when it became available. His connection would not be easy, it consists of six poles from the nearest manifold to his house but the first three run through tree branches (small enough to be lop-able from a hoist just time consuming) but the last three share the poles with power cables so cannot be used.
After a lot of hassle and the usual Openreach messing him about a surveyor finally came out and produced a report which amazingly said that the first three poles should be bypassed with new ducting put in for three hundred metres (more than long enough to get past the trees) and then new poles put in to bypass the last two poles which carry the power cables.
The two new poles were put in and then workmen came out to put in the ducting, took one look, said the ducting was impossible to put in and left. Nine months to get that far! Since then BT have cancelled his order and when he looks on the BT Checker it now says his number can only get ADSL with fibre not available.
Neither he or I can understand why the surveyor thought ducting was the only way to go rather than lopping small branches off about 100yds of trees and put in one more pole.
He has put in a complaint to Ofcom which I am sure will do no good. After the complaint was put in BT sent him a bunch of flowers which did not go down well!
I think the surveyor got it very wrong saying that new ducting was the way to go when even I can see that it is virtually impossible due to the topography of the lane but there does not seem to be any appeal procedure.
Anyway, after that rather long post, is there anything else he can do?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-16 09:32:39
Print Post

Re: Appeal mechanism?

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

An email to the chief executive might get BT to look at the problem again. I don't really understand why ducting can't be laid. If the road is not straight and flat maybe some form of flexible ducting would be more appropriate. I would argue that it is ridiculous for BT to say they can get a metal cable to you but not a fibre one.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Mar-16 09:54:42
Print Post

The excess construction costs will be huge either way. Be aware!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(member) Tue 15-Mar-16 10:49:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.
Thankfully it is not for me (I already have FTTP) but my next door neighbour but one who is down a lane nearby along with two other properties one of which also desperately wants fibre.
A new duct would be very difficult as well as expensive as it would mean going under a road then down the lane which is very narrow with ditching and hedges right up to the road. Clearly not on, I cannot understand why the surveyor said to use ducting. To use poles would involve nothing more than tree trimming and one more new pole to go in, the man must be crazy.
Anyway I will suggest to my near neighbour to try an email to the CEO to see if that will help.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-16 14:07:45
Print Post

I live in a cul-de-sac of 16 houses which were down to receive FTTP. The copper cables are armoured and buried in the ground so there is no ducting. Openreach installed 2 manifolds in chambers on the same side of the road. They then proceeded to survey each house independently as they ordered. I had 2 surveys, one suggested a pole and then another suggested ducting. Eventually each house who ordered (12 out of the 16 I think) were independently ducted with a crew spending 1 or 2 days for each house. If they had planned properly they could have prepared to deploy to all houses with probably 4 days work and a lot less cost. But Openreach do not appear to care too much abut planning or cost.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User Jax2
(member) Tue 15-Mar-16 14:35:04
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

That sounds so like the estate over the road from me that I had to look to see if you were in Suffolk like I am. Seems like Openreach have the same "planning procedure" everywhere! My area was FTTP enabled but there are quite a lot of people who cannot actually access it. I spoke to one surveyor who told me no surveying at all was done before the cabling was put in situ with the above result.
They cannot organize anything either. My next door neighbour had an engineer come up from London to do the second visit final connection whilst at precisely the same time I had "my" engineer all the way from Peterborough doing my final connection! Efficiency or what?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-16 14:55:56
Print Post

We are in North Hampshire. We had 2 vans turn up from Warwickshire to do the second stage install for one house where the first stage had not yet been done. With a little planning they could probably save enough money to FTTP the whole country.

David

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Mar-16 15:12:52
Print Post

One issue is that the final drops are only done when people order, wonder what the general population answer would be to Openreach doing the final drop to a whole street at the same time. Even if the public like the idea some providers may object as people might believe that the only provider is then BT themselves.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-16 15:48:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree that the drop from the kerb to the house needs to be done with each order. But Openreach have dug up the pavements again and again.They have dug across the road twice. That all seems to be a waste of time when proper planning would have avoided much duplicated work.

When I moved into a previous house in Croydon over 20 years ago the pavements were being bug up to lay single supplier cable for TV to the kerb for each house. When I moved out 8 years later the pavements were being dug up again by the same supplier to lay the next generation. So I do not see why Openreach cannot do the same thing for a multi-supplier solution. However, in reality there are very few viable suppliers for FTTP.

David

Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-16 18:19:20
Print Post

This is why Openreach needs to be separated away from the main BT group. If you do that Openreach becomes a totally separate company although it can be owned still by BT . It would be a bit like DABS which is a BT company

If Openreach is set up as a separate company it has its own board and separate P&L and would file separate accounts at Companies house. The Fibre then becomes Openreaches and not BT's. BT would be treated as an external company the same as any other ISP or telco
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to