General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DavaDK
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-16 21:10:55
Print Post

Cabinet too big to handle?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've been following from the sideline a few years now, but finally came to jump out in the free here and ask my question.

Used to live on a newly built estate, with one big cabinet supplying all 220 homes. It turned out, that the cabinet was serving roughly 450 lines in total. We (the residents group) got in touch with OR, who demanded £21k+VAT to consider an upgrade.

We have since moved to Stockport area, and despite we are able to have Virgin Media, i want fibre. I can't (won't) deal more with VM, so currently on DSL from vodafone.
Our cabinet, P2 on MRSTE exchange, seems not to be in any plans to convert to FTTC. Asking the engineer who came to install the line 12 days ago, said the cabinet was serving 6-700 lines.
Guessing from here, this might be the reason, OR ain't too bothered of upgrading it. But can it really be that simple - cabinet too big?

Edited by DavaDK (Mon 14-Mar-16 21:12:33)

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Mar-16 22:09:36
Print Post

Re: Cabinet too big to handle?

[re: DavaDK] [link to this post]

No - it won't be the size of your cabinet but something else that makes it not commercially viable such as the cost of powering a cabinet there, or difficulties finding somewhere to put a cabinet etc.

Your best course of action would be asking BDUK Manchester - https://www.get-digital-faster.info/home - about the plans they have for your area but it may be well down/excluded from any list if you can already get VM
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 14-Mar-16 22:27:01
Print Post

some cabinets (pcp's) get an extension, so they can handle the extra sister cabinet interconnections.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 14-Mar-16 22:29:35
Print Post

perhaps with virgin available BT see other cabinets as more profitable
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-16 23:06:38
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

I assume you on another development where copper only - interesting use of the word demanded -- that was only the gap not the total cost of enabling that cab -- you as a community had a decision to make -- you made the choice not to co - fund the cab
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-16 23:08:28
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

if there is virgin coverage it will not be funded by the BDUK grogramme as it will not be a white area
Standard User DavaDK
(newbie) Wed 16-Mar-16 19:20:52
Print Post

A couple of days ago, one of the neighbours had his front garden dug up by the water suppliers.
Past and gone, i started to see issues with slow response and re-training of the router.
Reported the error to Vodafone, who have now been on it - first a technician out to measure my line from my socket, no faults found. He the went on to the exchange and started seeing faults, and measuring backward found faults near my property. had to call out ground tech's instead, which arrived today.
Brilliant chap, who actually was the same chap installing the line some year ago. Chatting along, it appears fibre is getting closer to us now - even he couldn't understand why cab 2 isn't converted. He knew some of colleagues where installing a new cabinet today further down near the local school, and advised me to go down there and have a chat, and so i did.
Didn't get much out of them tho, they hardly knew there where cabinet further up the road.
Anyhow, high is the hope, as all three independently have now said, that especially because VM is present here, BT OR should be upgrading my local little green cab sooner rather than later - but obviously didn't have any information.

Maybe Mr. Saffron can highlight anything? I'll PM him and ask for his assistance.
  Print Thread

Jump to