General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Storm_Force
(member) Fri 25-Mar-16 19:58:05
Print Post

Hatherleigh Cab 1 capacity

[link to this post]

Hi all

Cab 1 on Hatherleigh exchange (WWHATH) has been out of capacity since the end of 2015, I have tweeted CDAS on a few occasions but have had no reply frown

A friend of mine has just moved on to this cab and obviously can't place an order yet, does anyone know if the cabinet is full eg waiting for another cabinet or just waiting for more line cards etc.

Thanks
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 15:06:32
Print Post

Re: Hatherleigh Cab 1 capacity

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Well I aven't done any receint checks on that cabinet since the last time I did a full exchange check, sadly BTW blocks my IP after about 50 to 100 checks so I cannot do any more checks, but if I recall that was a rather full cabinet back then.

--------+---------+-------
Type    | Cabinet | Amount
FTTC    |    1    |   590 
ADSLx   |    1    |     7 
NONE    |    1    |     4 

The above information has probably changed since the May 8th 2015 when I was able to do the checks last.

Not really sure on the max amount of lines a fibre cabinet can support before it requires an additional cabinet installed.

Paul
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Mon 28-Mar-16 15:23:52
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I think the largest cabinets can support 288 VDSL connections.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 15:32:38
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
I think the largest cabinets can support 288 VDSL connections.
I think its higher than that due to there are several FTTC cabinets on my exchange in London that handle 775 lines, I think it would be silly to only allow only the first 288 lines leaving about 480 lines without fibre, codelook says that it has passed 675 properties.

Maybe there was additional FTTC's installed for them, or added capacity, who knows.

Paul
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Mon 28-Mar-16 15:43:12
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I'm pretty confident that's the largest cab.

Average take up is only around 20% at the moment though, so even on 775 lines, that would only be around 160.

Properties passed just simply means that those 675 lines have the option of FTTC, not that there is capacity for that number of lines as such.

As you say, there is the option to add an additional fibre cabinet should the demand warrant it.

Edited by lee111s (Mon 28-Mar-16 15:44:37)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 17:23:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
I'm pretty confident that's the largest cab.

Average take up is only around 20% at the moment though, so even on 775 lines, that would only be around 160.

Properties passed just simply means that those 675 lines have the option of FTTC, not that there is capacity for that number of lines as such.

As you say, there is the option to add an additional fibre cabinet should the demand warrant it.
Well I know I am not going out and knocking on all those doors asking if they have fibre LOL, so I guess we will never know who has it and who doesn't LOL.

Paul
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Mon 28-Mar-16 17:58:33
Print Post

The back plane of sockets on the right-hand side, may be for 288 eventual connections; but my local cabinet, a Huawei 288 FTTC, had only 48 of the Filter-Links fitted whn RFSd at the end of March 2014.

In June 2015, it had another 48 added as I talked with the person doing it.

About two months back, it with the associated PCP had 63 actual Upgrades, might be about 70 now - not many requests for upgrades from the approaching 300 D-side lines from the PCP.

---------------

When the FTTC was being installed, the BT lad about to do the FTTC end of the link connections mentioned "100 pair links".

When the FTTC was opened for other reasons recently, I noted that there were only two link cables coming up from the almost 4 inch duct, with a second empty duct.

The two link cables about 1 inch diameter, apparently have 100 pairs of wires each; and two pairs of wires are needed to complete the upgrade, thus the present complement of 96 Filter-Links more or less matches the available link wiring.

One of the two pairs is to extend the E-side pair to the FTTC; and the other pair extends the D-side pair.

So it appears that when the present 98 F-L limit is approached, not only will more Filter-Links be required; but additional 100 pair Link Cables.

It took about 5 minutes to fit the second batch of 48 Filter-Links.

I suspect that it will probably be about 2 days, to draw in the Link Cables underground, with an almost 180 degree reversal in the Underground chamber about 5 metres away from the FTTC, towards the Exchange the FTTC.

Followed by 40 metres including past the FTTC, to another UG chamber about 5 metres from the PCP, where there must be a 90 degree turn to access the PCP about two metres away.

And at both cabinets there is the 90 degree vertical bends to actually enter the cabinets.

------------

Obviously I don't know the spcifics of your situation; but it is probably very similar.
(member) Sun 03-Apr-16 20:06:01
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The fibre cab on PCP1 is a ECI cabinet the normal size not the 288.
Last week I spotted workmen and a lorry with a green cabinet on the back, I thought great another fibre cab is going in.

But nope for some reason the existing PCP has been completely removed and a brandnew one installed, so god knows what is going on.

Edited by Storm_Force (Sun 03-Apr-16 20:06:32)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Apr-16 20:09:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Storm_Force:
The fibre cab on PCP1 is a ECI cabinet the normal size not the 288.
Last week I spotted workmen and a lorry with a green cabinet on the back, I thought great another fibre cab is going in.

But nope for some reason the existing PCP has been completely removed and a brandnew one installed, so god knows what is going on.

The old one might of been too small to cater for possible new lines, so a newer larger cabinet was installed.

Paul
(member) Sun 03-Apr-16 20:09:55
Print Post

This is the one that was removed not sure why as it was the newer style, prob a couple of years old.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8186387,-4.0727433...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to