General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mabibby
(member) Sat 26-Mar-16 14:57:28
Print Post

FTTC become more expensive?

[link to this post]

Afternoon,

I'm soon approaching end of contract with BT for Infinity and i've started to browse market.

Interestingly it seems like the market has become less competitive and more noticeably more expensive over the last 12 months?

Once you factor in deals/freebies/cash back, you're looking at £350 a year for a 80/20 service on a line with no call packages.

I'm on a 42/9 line, and looking at £30 a month it's time where it maybe cheaper/flexible to buy a mobile broadband SIM? It's not helped by the fact that the big boys seem to have binned off the 40/10 product in exchange for the 40/2.

Cheers
Matt

BT Infinity 2 - 47/9 @ 800m
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Mar-16 09:50:16
Print Post

Re: FTTC become more expensive?

[re: mabibby] [link to this post]

I assume you are counting line rental in those figures and if so then that takes a pretty big chunk. There are ways to get cheaper packages but in some you take a hit with support levels or contention.

As far as 40/2 is concerned the only big ISP that has changed that recently are PlusNet. You could try giving BT a ring as they would probably give you a £10 per month discount if you agree to stay another year.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Mar-16 10:54:01
Print Post

a mobile sim will only be value competitive with very low usage, as the big difference is the usage allowances.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Mar-16 12:09:42
Print Post

I don't think Fibre Broadband prices have really increased... if anything I think there might be more deals around now than this time last year....

However providers such as Plusnet and TalkTalk (Who have always been known as value providers) have opted for 40/2 wholesale products to saves as much as they possibly can...

However this clearly works for them due to many households not being any the wiser of upload speeds or not requiring them.

I woud suggest asking BT for an offer on Infinity 1 or 2 depending on price differences I would proably go for the lower tier ad sacrafice a meg or 2's download speed.

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 27-Mar-16 12:32:39
Print Post

If you have the time it might be worth calling a few of the larger ISP's they might do you a deal if it means winning a customer from one of their competitors.

Worst case is they say NO
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Mar-16 13:13:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC become more expensive? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by adslmax (Sun 27-Mar-16 13:15:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Mar-16 11:20:44
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Referral begging is not allowed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Mar-16 12:23:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hmm, yes... he's been doing this in other threads too, by misinforming potential customers... not on!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Mar-16 13:29:39
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

You mean he continues to think that Plusnet is a worthwhile ISP to be with, the ISP he has been using for years now.

The fact you have a continuing crusade against Plusnet so frequently fall out with adslmax does not justify your accusation. You are just jumping on a totally irrelevant event to vilify him. I'm fairly sure he hasn't been soliciting referrals in other thread, (the reason for the deletion), either. To me, your post is "... not on!"

FYI I was with Plusnet on FTTC for eighteen months and left because of a spate of problems they were having, which didn't affect me but I was worried they might, and the messed up changes to the support system. As things seem to have stabilised on the support side; have improved on the broadband service side; and I'm now out of my minimum term with AAISP; I am seriously considering returning to Plusnet.

There is no discernable difference between the two services so far as my own experience has been.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Mar-16 13:40:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, I have nothing against Plusnet, I just don't think they're the best provider for Fibre based services...

ADSLMax in another thread has recommended somebody join Plusnet as they 'don't throttle' unlike that person current provider, however this information is incorrect and in fact backwards...

This was made worse by ADSLMax when he posted saying 'avoid Sky.....XYZ" and then messaged me to say he's joining Sky...

The pattern I see is, ADSLMax encouraging people to join Plusnet, sometimes using inaccurate information, on rare occasions asking for new customers to use his name for referral....

Also, I thought you had issues with Plusnet.... I wouldn't of worked so hard to get out of Plusnet if there wasn't genuine problems 'at the time', So switching based on a worry seems a bit rash :L

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to