General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-16 12:32:03
Print Post

EO Line - Process?

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

After a frustrating few months of hope, despair and annoyance, I'm still without fibre broadband.

I'm on an EO line, and the Superfast Openreach website says:

We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet. You might consider co-funding fibre access in your community.

I was told earlier this year that it should be ready to order by the end of March, only to be let down. I've spoken to my local councillor, with the following reply:

We’re very much aware that EO lines fed directly from the exchange to customers’ premises are a national problem, although it affects a relatively small number of lines. We continue to work on technical solutions (such as fibre to the premises or installing a new cabinet) but this can be economically challenging. Unfortunately, we can’t give a timescale but, when we have a solution, we plan to deploy this at exchanges that have been fibre-enabled and where it’s commercially viable – or possibly via a public funding route.

So frustrating! Any ideas as to how to try and make any progress?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 13:25:25
Print Post

Re: EO Line - Process?

[re: ryannn] [link to this post]

A postcode would be nice, that way we can see if anything is happening.

You "might" be in the process of being upgraded to FTTP which will say that exact message on the BTOR Where and when page until the upgrade has completed.

It says the same for our line and we have had all the FTTP for us down our road since end of 2011 where half the hones down our road went live including a home 4 doors down.

I have been told by BT/BTOR that the BTOR Where and when page was mostly designed for FTTC so there will be some issues with it when checking for FTTP status etc.
I was also told by those same people that with FTTP it will stay at stage 1 (above message) until it has all been completed where it will got from stage 1 to stage 8 i.e. live etc.

But like I said a postcode will help.
You can PM me that info if you don't want it said on the public forums.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 14:25:56
Print Post

[re: ryannn] [link to this post]

I replied to you PM with my findings.

So its just a waiting game for now, shouldn't be that long due to only ~400 lines on your exchange.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Mon 28-Mar-16 16:04:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Forgive me for intruding on the thread

But post code EH40 3BS?

Is it really correct that there are "relatively few" EO lines?

From the look of the forums it seems a nation wide extensive problem

If there is a solution why can't they get on with it?
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Mon 28-Mar-16 16:14:44
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In relation to the number of lines served by cabinet, then yes the percentage of EO lines os relatively small.

The solution all depends on the network topography and how the lines are distributed from the exchange to the properties.

One solution is to place an all in one PCP and fibre cabinet and "convert" EO bundles to cabinets but this isn't possible in all areas, again depending on how the network is laid out. Another solution is FTTP but again, costs and network layout will dictate.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Mar-16 17:17:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by 961a:
Forgive me for intruding on the thread

But post code EH40 3BS?

Is it really correct that there are "relatively few" EO lines?

From the look of the forums it seems a nation wide extensive problem

If there is a solution why can't they get on with it?
There are areas in the middle of nowhere that are all EO Lines due to them being all scattered all over the place, but yeah, compared to lines connected to cabinets vs exchange only lines then yes there are a lot fewer EO Lines, it just might not seem that way due to you not knowing loads of other exchanges that have thousands of lines connected to cabinets.

Like your exchange East Linton (ESEAL) it is a small exchange only handling about 1200 lines, it has 6 EO Blocks where as 2 of them (i.e. EO Blocks 1 and 2) have been allocated fibre cabinets and are due (estimated date) to go live October 2016 and has 2 PCP Cabinets (1, 2) and cabinets 1 and 2 are due (I.e. estimated date) to go live on June 2016.

And before you ask, if you don't already know your postcode is on EO Block 2.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 28-Mar-16 17:19:32)

Standard User 961a
(member) Mon 28-Mar-16 17:55:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

many thanks
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Thu 31-Mar-16 08:50:07
Print Post

Spoke to BT, got this reply:

I can see openreach the network provider has confirmed with service provider BT to roll infinity in your area. Ryan your exchange is "wormbridge" you are on EO line as i can see. However FTTC is going to get installed soon in your line. At the moment i can see exchange SL type is copper pair. So its already upgraded in the exchange. The work in Frames unit is almost done as per the network details. But time will be required to install cabinet pairings.

Not sure if I believe it or not...
  Print Thread

Jump to