General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User libf
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-16 08:46:47
Print Post

FTTP - Fibre cable appears damaged

[link to this post]

Photo of cable

Placed an order with Plusnet yesterday to get on their FTTP trail but when I went to plug in my router last night I discovered that the fibre cable appears to be damaged (the sheath just fell off when I plugged in next to it).

Any ideas how bad this is? New cable needed internally?
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-16 08:50:59
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Fibre cable appears damaged

[re: libf] [link to this post]

You'll need to speak to Plusnet who will need to raange for an engineer visit. I suspect a new piece of optical cable will need to be spliced.

I don't think a regular engineer visit will suffice, as only a select few engineers have the skills and tools to splice so make it very clear that the optical cable is damaged.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 31-Mar-16 11:42:35
Print Post

Agree you will probably need a new bit of cable spliced in from the CSP for which the engineer will need access to the property like they did for the original second visit when the FTTP was installed. It will be interesting to see whether they charge you or not.

Edited by Jax2 (Thu 31-Mar-16 11:43:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User libf
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-16 12:08:39
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Charge me!? Either the person who installed the ONT or someone working on site when the house was being completed clearly damaged the cable. I should be able to plug something in next to it without the thing falling apart!

The light on the ONT has always been red on LOS since the install, so I'm not paying for them to fix something that has never worked in the first place!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 31-Mar-16 12:26:23
Print Post

Is that paint on the shroud? It may be, as you suggest, someone doing the house completion caused it ... and is there paint missing just above the skirting board?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User libf
(learned) Thu 31-Mar-16 12:35:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

There's paint on the cable, but it's just dust on the skirting board from when the ONT when was mounted.

The cable was a loose spool in the cupboard under my stairs when I moved in, but during the install the seal the builder had put across the hole for the cable was removed and the excess slack was pulled up so that the cable could be fixed in place with cable pins along the skirting and up the wall.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 31-Mar-16 13:39:02
Print Post

Well it was just the thought that Openreach might well say that the damage is nothing to do with them so they may want to charge. Your dispute would then be with the builder to get the money back or get them to pay the charge in the first place.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Mar-16 18:54:06
Print Post

Yep, as the others have said, you'll need a visit from an FTTP Openreach engineer, they will replace the fibre lead in (the bit thats broken) and then resplice the new lead in the customer splice point. It's a pretty simple job.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Mar-16 18:56:49
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

the engineer will need access to the property like they did for the original second visit when the FTTP was installed.

There are quite a few new build sites popping up where it's all in situ when the homes are sold, you just ring and order service .....

so there may never have been a '2nd visit'.

Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 31-Mar-16 20:24:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I did not know that.
However if it is like mine the optical "plug end" that connects into the GPON is quite a bit bigger than the hole that was drilled through my wall I do not see how it can be done then connected and checked without access to the property for the repair?

Edited by Jax2 (Thu 31-Mar-16 20:26:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to