General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-16 19:51:45
Print Post

Fibre connection on long line

[link to this post]

I am on a long line from the exchange (5Km or so) and getting around 2500Kbs. The cabinet is nearer but still about 1.7Km. I have been debating getting fibre for a while but the forecast speed was not great. That was until my neighbour further up the road told me they were getting 7000Kbs.

On that basis I thought it was worth going for and ordered it from Zilo/UNO. Had it installed yesterday and the engineer said the speed was going to be 10,000Kbs (there was 40 available at the cabinet) which I was well pleased with. It connected overnight and this morning found it was giving 17500Kbs. Don't know how it achieved this speed but hope it does'nt degrade.

They also left a modem with me, EC1 1b. Not using it yet as I got my own router/modem. Is this compatible coming off a Huawei cabinet?

I will have to work out how to connect my old router to the modem in case of failures.

Just thought this might encourage others on a long line though no guarantees.

Regards

David
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Mar-16 23:03:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre connection on long line

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Is this compatible coming off a Huawei cabinet?

Yep, that'll work.

Standard User craski
(member) Fri 01-Apr-16 07:18:59
Print Post

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Nice one, a noticeable speed increase from your ADSL smile

The ECI modem will work but in my experience of using one on a Huawei cabinet, it did not perform as well as my Billion 8800NL or Huawei HG 612. The ECI throughput was less and the latency was higher. At the time I used it, the ECI modems did not fully support G.INP on Huawei cabs but that may have changed now?

Another negative of the ECI was that it is completely locked down by BT Openreach so it is very hard to get stats about your connection. With most other modems, it is possible to get to the stats much easier than on the ECI.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM

Edited by craski (Fri 01-Apr-16 07:23:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gdavid
(committed) Fri 01-Apr-16 11:23:28
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Thanks all.

Will keep the EC1 as a back stop in case of failure.

I am using the 8800NL and as shown, is working well, but I am disappointed with the wifi after my 7800DXL, though I did expect that since it has no external aerial. Will have to figure out how to get that connected to the 8800.

Regards

David
  Print Thread

Jump to