General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Tue 05-Apr-16 10:37:34
Print Post

No engineer for Fibre, is that an issue?

[link to this post]

I've been changed over to BT Infinity this morning from ADSL and had booked an engineer as I have an old master socket, the ADSL went down this morning and now received a mail saying it's all done - just hook up the equipment.

The BT site seems to suggest I can use the new router in place of the old one but some sites suggest that unless you get the proper filtered faceplate, speeds will suffer - it's the 80/20 package I signed up for. I'm trying to get a hold of BT but I thought you clever people would be the quickest way to get an answer as there's mixed information out there.

John

Edited by Johnmcl7 (Tue 05-Apr-16 16:11:18)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 05-Apr-16 10:45:07
Print Post

Re: Urgent - no engineer for Fibre, is that an issue?

[re: Johnmcl7] [link to this post]

Have you plugged it in to see what the router connects at? What speeds were you estimated? Is the sync speed close to the estimation?
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Tue 05-Apr-16 10:49:18
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Have you plugged it in to see what the router connects at? What speeds were you estimated? Is the sync speed close to the estimation?

No, not yet - I thought it would be best to try and get the engineer now before the time has passed. If it's likely to be fine then I'll give it a go.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 05-Apr-16 10:58:40
Print Post

It most likely will be fine. Unless you have star wiring or some elaborate home wiring set up, there should be no problem.

Post back and let us know the sync rates and how they compare to your line speed estimation.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Apr-16 12:29:05
Print Post

Chase up BT especially as you were expecting a visit and the master to be upgraded.

As for using a dangly filter in place of a filtered master - your connection may suffer, or it may not and even if it does you might still get a full 80/20 if you are close to the cabinet. In general, though, a latest spec face plate will give the best results as a lot of older filters were not deigned to work with the significantly higher frequencies of VDSL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Johnmcl7
(learned) Tue 05-Apr-16 14:20:58
Print Post

Thanks very much for the prompt replies, I've spoken with BT and they've said to hook it up, see how the speeds are and they'll send an engineer if the speed isn't great. I've done that and I'm getting 35 down/10 up, this is what the connection is rated as:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/johnmcl7/BT_S...

John

Edited by Johnmcl7 (Tue 05-Apr-16 14:22:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Apr-16 14:28:45
Print Post

Can you give a link to a speed test result from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

It is possible if they forgot to book engineer they have also put you on the slower up to 38 Mbps download service. In the Home Hub there should also be a connection speed page, and that will be useful to know what it says.

If you have extensions in the home, this may be impacting the speeds. Where is the filter and the modem plugged in?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-16 14:29:41
Print Post

Hmm, I wonder what their definition of "isn't great" is. You're above the bottom of the impacted range, but only just. To me that "isn't great." If it's the best you are going to get there is obviously no point in paying for 80/20.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64500/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 05-Apr-16 14:32:47
Print Post

Not with BT.

EE on a 40/10 package.

As well as a Bright Box 2, EE included two VDSL dongles, all of which arrived before the upgrade.

On upgrade day, I spotted the van at the PCP and went across, heard the confirmation that he had found the right pairs - temporary test phone. dialled 17070 etc.

About 5 minutes to make the wiring changes in the PCP, back to the house.

Swapped from the old BB 1 (ADSL) to the BB2 (VDSL) changed the dongle, powered up etc.

Took about 5 minutes of "hand-shaking", then full contact etc.

-------------------

Ancient NTE, simple connections, not a filtered faceplate.

Although the FTTC is only 10 Metres from the front door, and the PCP is about 40 Metres away, the "D"-side phone line from the PCP wanders about 250 M virtually all underground before surfacing at the front door, with additional 50 M from the PCP to the FTTC, so 300 M total.

Almost consistently around 37 Mbps Down and about 9 Mbps Up, on that 40/10 contract, since June 2014.

I have made minor changes to the internal phone etc wiring a few months back, nothing dramatic.

A proper 10 M cable from that ancient NTE to the BB2 Router/Modem, rather than the previous higgledy- piggledy, grown like topsy, internal wiring, moving a VDSL dongle down to the NTE; with the other phone wiring connected to the filtered PHONE side of that dongle - the VDSL/Broadband side being of course, the standard straight-through, ie unfiltered.

Gave a very slight improvement on the Down side, from hovering just below 37 Mbps, to now hovering just above 37 Mbps, typically.

Edited by eckiedoo (Tue 05-Apr-16 14:36:35)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 05-Apr-16 15:21:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Johnmcl7:
Thanks very much for the prompt replies, I've spoken with BT and they've said to hook it up, see how the speeds are and they'll send an engineer if the speed isn't great. I've done that and I'm getting 35 down/10 up, this is what the connection is rated as:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/johnmcl7/BT_S...

John

Is that Sync speed as reported by the router or the results of a speedtest done perhaps over wifi?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to