General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JamieDanjoux
(learned) Wed 06-Apr-16 13:35:17
Print Post

Can my line go any faster?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Plusnet's 40/20 package to 80/20 in aim to get some faster speeds. However I only got a increase of 17mb from 37mb and I'm getting 54mb. My line has been able to handle 65mb+ when I was on this package a few years ago. According to the DSLChecker.BT.com I can get between 60mb and 76mb on my line - this is the Range A. On Range B it is 31mb - 60mb. I've got a fibre filtered faceplate which the engineer installed a few years ago and using a cat5e RJ45 - RJ11 between the master socket and the Plusnet Hub One. Also the upload speed used to be around 14-16mb

Stats from the router
6. Data rate: 13737 / 58202
7. Maximum data rate: 13808 / 60814
8. Noise margin: 5.8 / 7.2
9. Line attenuation: 21.4 / 18.2
10. Signal attenuation: 21.5 / 18.2

I'm getting these results Speedtest.net result

Any ideas? Many Thanks

I am with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Broadband! My speeds are 60mbits+ and Upload is 15mbits+
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-16 14:19:00
Print Post

Re: Can my line go any faster?

[re: JamieDanjoux] [link to this post]

You might squeeze an extra 1Mbps on the Max achievable given the 7.2dB margin. I would normally expect to see the Data Rate and Max Data Rate a little closer together.

Overall though, I doubt if you will be able to get anywhere nearer the previous 65Mbps - others have had a service installed which in turn creates additional in-band noise and that causes the data rates to drop - downstream and up.

Try doing a managed power down and reboot after waiting 10 or 15 minutes.

Power off the hub with the line connected. Wait a minute or two, disconnect the line cable. Wait 10 minutes, turn off everything else nearby, TV, fridge, heating, LED lights ... Power up the hub, wait 5 minutes, reconnect line and then check stats.

I would also suggest using the TBB speedtest - linked to at the bottom of the page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Apr-16 14:37:35
Print Post

Re: Can my line go any faster? *DELETED*

[re: JamieDanjoux] [link to this post]

Post deleted by WelshWArrior

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-16 14:42:32
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
What does the BT ADSL checker say your line should achieve? My stats are very similar to yours, however my attenuation is higher at 19.2 and I'm sync'd just fine at 68042Kbps.

Did you read the original post? That information is in there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JamieDanjoux
(learned) Wed 06-Apr-16 15:03:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You might squeeze an extra 1Mbps on the Max achievable given the 7.2dB margin. I would normally expect to see the Data Rate and Max Data Rate a little closer together.

Overall though, I doubt if you will be able to get anywhere nearer the previous 65Mbps - others have had a service installed which in turn creates additional in-band noise and that causes the data rates to drop - downstream and up.

Try doing a managed power down and reboot after waiting 10 or 15 minutes.

Power off the hub with the line connected. Wait a minute or two, disconnect the line cable. Wait 10 minutes, turn off everything else nearby, TV, fridge, heating, LED lights ... Power up the hub, wait 5 minutes, reconnect line and then check stats.

I would also suggest using the TBB speedtest - linked to at the bottom of the page.

I will certainly try this, thank you.

Plusnet customer
  Print Thread

Jump to