General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 12:27:26
Print Post

Switch from FTTC to another FTTC provider

[link to this post]

Is it correct that switching from FTTC to another FTTC provider no longer requires a MAC code?

Can I keep my existing phone line rental with BT and just switch broadband providers?

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 12:54:00
Print Post

Re: Switch from FTTC to another FTTC provider

[re: smsmasters] [link to this post]

That's right however, be aware that when you change FTTC provider, you're allocated a new port in the cabinet and your current port is then made available.

If you're on a busy cabinet that is close to capacity, it's possible for the switch to go through and there not be a spare port available. I've seen it happen a few times before.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-16 13:06:30
Print Post

You can leave the phone side with BT, if your chosen new broadband provider is happy for you to do that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 13:23:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You can leave the phone side with BT, if your chosen new broadband provider is happy for you to do that

I'm thinking about moving my phone line away from BT but already paid line rental saver 1 year in advance.

I could move any time but I wouldn't get a refund on the remaining months left for the line rental saver.

Can you advise the best course of action to take?

Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 13:25:43
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
That's right however, be aware that when you change FTTC provider, you're allocated a new port in the cabinet and your current port is then made available.

If you're on a busy cabinet that is close to capacity, it's possible for the switch to go through and there not be a spare port available. I've seen it happen a few times before.

So essentially, switching from FTTC to another provider entails a physical port swap in the same FTTC cabinet. Is there a chance the same port will be used?

My reasons for wanting to switch FTTC provider is for a DLM reset (see my phone line fault here) and cheaper prices elsewhere.

Edited by smsmasters (Sat 09-Apr-16 13:26:20)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 14:18:09
Print Post

That's right, a new port is used.

I don't think the same port could be used, if it's a busy cabinet, it would likely get taken with an order quickly after it becomes available.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Apr-16 16:12:06
Print Post

I think that may only happen when a cease and provide order is place, such as when moving either way between BT Wholesale and "LLU" provision. AIUI a move on BT Wholesale is done in software just as on ADSLx.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-16 16:14:02
Print Post

As a migration, this does not usually happen.

FTTC to FTTC migrations that remain on the same wholesale network do not involve a port change and like with ADSL, happen during the early hours of the morning with no engineer evolvement.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 18:40:21
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
As a migration, this does not usually happen.

FTTC to FTTC migrations that remain on the same wholesale network do not involve a port change and like with ADSL, happen during the early hours of the morning with no engineer evolvement.

Matt

So if one switches from BT Infinity to Plusnet FTTC there is no port change? Will DLM be reset?

Edited by smsmasters (Sat 09-Apr-16 18:41:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Apr-16 21:30:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by smsmasters:
So if one switches from BT Infinity to Plusnet FTTC there is no port change? Will DLM be reset?
I don't think so.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to