General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-16 21:55:09
Print Post

Re: Switch from FTTC to another FTTC provider

[re: smsmasters] [link to this post]

A reset isn't expected for such a migration.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 00:04:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by smsmasters:
So if one switches from BT Infinity to Plusnet FTTC there is no port change? Will DLM be reset?

When I switched from Plusnet to Zen my line was reset and I moved from Bt Wholesale network to Zen's own LLU yet no port meddling was done (despite an issue of premature cut off)

BTInfinity - 66000/21000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 04:34:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by smsmasters:
Is it correct that switching from FTTC to another FTTC provider no longer requires a MAC code?

Can I keep my existing phone line rental with BT and just switch broadband providers?
Yes you can keep on paying BT for line rental & calls, though there are cheaper options out there, BT is probably the most expensive for line rental & calls

Migrations are all GPL now so the gaining provider does all the work, no requesting mac codes anymore

Also as said migrations do not normally require engineering work at the FTTC cab (port swap) and only if you are also changing between openreach product 80/20 to 40/10 or vice versa or other openreach product this would reset DLM to the wide open profile, ??
Not sure what influence swapping between the 3 dlm stability profiles would have on the connection apart from the difference in error rate thresholds that DLM uses to make positive or negative changes , as in it also triggering a DLM reset

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 10-Apr-16 04:45:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 10:58:22
Print Post

Regarding DLM resetting, you are best to just wait it out. With time it should go back to normal, unless there is a line issue in which case it will not. By the time you move ISP etc DLM should have corrected itself.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:13:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

DLM will never reset not in any FTTC to FTTC migration. The only way to have DLM reset is switching from FTTC to ADSL2+ then switch back to FTTC. (make sure ADSL2+ is a one month contract but you might be charged for FTTC to ADSL2+ then again from ADSL2+ to FTTC.

I think it not worth it in my view if switching from FTTC to FTTC just for DLM reset (it's not gonna to happen)

FTTP & FTTPoD both doesn't have any DLM in place!

Edited by adslmax (Sun 10-Apr-16 15:16:17)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:50:32
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
DLM will never reset not in any FTTC to FTTC migration. The only way to have DLM reset is switching from FTTC to ADSL2+ then switch back to FTTC. (make sure ADSL2+ is a one month contract but you might be charged for FTTC to ADSL2+ then again from ADSL2+ to FTTC.

I think it not worth it in my view if switching from FTTC to FTTC just for DLM reset (it's not gonna to happen)

FTTP & FTTPoD both doesn't have any DLM in place!
Max you are incorrect with that statement

If you change from one openreach FTTC product to another FTTC or product DLM is reset , OR products are the different speed ie 80/20 40/10 55/10 and 40/2 products they are they OR products (the legacy 40/20 product plusnet sold is the OR 80/20 product) So if you have a 80/20 service now, but decided to migrate to another provider , but did not want to keep that 80/20 and wanted 40/10 the new provider would provision the 40/10 and your connection would loose sync and retrain at the new data rates, as a result of this change in OR product DLM would be reset

Just as if you regraded from sat 40/10 to the 80/20 service with your existing ISP

As for true fibre connections they don't have dim because it isn't needed

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 10-Apr-16 15:52:02)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 16:03:16
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

That's not true. Plusnet staff say if you do downgrade from 80/20 to 40/2 u will not seeing any DLM reset (for my parents line as they are fed up with getting 42Meg from 80/20) and Plusnet will not reset their DLM.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 17:13:45
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
That's not true. Plusnet staff say if you do downgrade from 80/20 to 40/2 u will not seeing any DLM reset (for my parents line as they are fed up with getting 42Meg from 80/20) and Plusnet will not reset their DLM.
Plusnet Wont get any say in DLM being reset as once the service downgraded it automatically initiates a DLM reset or restarts it on the wide open profile plusnet have Zero control over that and obviously don't know what happens when an end user is migrated from one openreach product to a different one and they cannot request a DLM reset on FTTC services because the option does not exist for isp's
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-16 18:23:17
Print Post

I'm away for my switch on the 21st from TTB to BT

I didn't need any mac code.

Talktalk Business - 80/20

TTB speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Apr-16 18:40:23
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

MACs don't even exist now.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to