General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-16 13:14:02
Print Post

Who will be the network provider?

[link to this post]

There've been several occasions in the last couple of years when I've seriously considered switching from ADSL to fibre broadband (FTTC). Making such a switch, however, has been hampered by the possibility that I might move house, the new location having been less-provisioned for FTTC in that period than is the case at my current location. However, since about 6 months ago, the very exchange I'd be on at the new location 'went FTTC', according to samknows.com. Being a village with just the one exchange, I'd almost certainly end up using that exchange.

I'd probably take the opportunity of also changing my ISP. But why is it that both my current ISP and the favoured new one (IDnet) are unable to tell me definitively whether: a) they'd be able to provide me with an Internet connection at all from that new exchange, and b) which network provider they'd use for that, eg. whether BT Wholesale (BTWh), TalkTalk, Sky, etc? Instead, both ISPs insist they'd need to know the full telephone no. and address, before they could say, and of course I can't give them that until I've actually found a new house in that vicinity. I know the area well and have run some dummy FTTC availability tests, with positive results.

Personally, I'd prefer to have BTWh as the network provider, since TalkTalk and Sky have more of a tarnished reputation in matters networking. I'd definitely re-establish a BT landline phone account, which would nicely dovetail with BTWh, so why the lack of a clear answer from these ISPs, IDnet especially? As with my current arrangement, I'd want no other services other than a BT phoneline, which I'd order from BT themselves, and the fibre account.

I can see from samknows's info on the exchange that it includes provision for BTWh connectivity. Indeed, the only other is LLU provision by way of Sky or TalkTalk. But since I wouldn't want LLU, why can't the ISPs say whether they could provide me with an FTTC connection from that exchange using BTWh, even though it's only a hypothetical order at present? For example, IDnet has told me that "unfortunately there'd be no guarantee of being put on a BTWh connection. We often use a company called Fluid Data for some of our orders."

This uncertainty means that the housemove is currently being postponed, since I wouldn't want to move to a location where I'd be forced to use the likes of, say, TalkTalk or Sky as the network provider. Am I misunderstanding the typical setup in exchanges, or what exactly? It appears that when you sign up with an ISP these days you don't necessarily get a BTWh connection, despite you being on a BT landline and also not needing LLU additional services.

Surely, if I simply quote the exchange and its status to the ISP, they should be able to say whether they could provide FTTC from it and whether via BTWh? Okay, theoretically some cabinets could turn out to be non-enabled as yet, but thus far I've found no evidence of that. Am I wrongly criticising IDnet, or is it that I'm missing a trick here?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-16 13:55:23
Print Post

Re: Who will be the network provider?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

That an exchange has been "FTTC enabled" is no guarantee that any specific address can access an FTTC connection. You need to check whether the connection at a specific address is an EO (exchange only) line or served via a cabinet and if so which cabinet. EO lines cannot currently access FTTC connections and not all cabinets on an FTTC enabled exchange are necessarily able to provide an FTTC connection. Distance from the cabinet is also important but first check what might be available.

If you know your new address, or better its current phone number, the answer to some of these questions can be provided by using the BT Wholesale Address Checker. Use either the full address or the current phone number, NOT the postcode. This should then tell you what is currently available, The top entry will also tell you whether you are connected directly to the exchange or via a cab, in which case the cab number will be shown.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-16 14:28:26
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

MCM,

You seem to have missed that, although I'm unable to provide a new telephone no. and precise address at present, I've performed some dummy availability tests and that, in every case, the results were that FTTC is available. These were done using the new location's public library address, the new location's post office, and a small business in the area as trial addresses/nos. All of these openly publish their phone nos. and would be near the new address. The location is actually a village, so these particular addresses would almost certainly be on the same exchange. Further, I've not only already used the BT Wholesale Address Checker but also I've run the checkers provided by my current ISP and by IDnet. In all cases, the results have shown that FTTC is available to the dummy addresses I used. Whilst clearly I wouldn't be moving into the actual public library, I certainly wouldn't be very far away from it, so given the apparent status of things there at present, why can't IDnet tell me whether I'm likely to end up with the sort of connection I'm after?

Due to a serious medical condition, I'm housebound and there's no way I'm going to move house - it'd be a move to a completely different part of England - if I can't be assured that in the new location I'd have at least a half-decent broadband connection. As matters stand, I'm in a catch-22 position over this, as regards IDnet and my current ISP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-16 14:32:34
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

You're overcomplicating things. Since most non-LLU based ISPs use BtW backhaul for FTTC connections chances are you will be on BT - that's assuming your cab is FTTC enabled at your new address. AFAIK IDNet don't use TalkTalk or Sky's network. Who is your current ISP?

In reply to a post by meditator:
Personally, I'd prefer to have BTWh as the network provider, since TalkTalk and Sky have more of a tarnished reputation in matters networking.

Care to provide evidence that TalkTalk's and Sky's networks are inferior than BTw's? Perhaps you're confusing TT and Sky customer support with network performance? As the likes of AAISP use the TalkTalk wholesale network for some of their FTTC/ADSL2+ services then you're worrying unnecessarily. Sky don't allow other ISPs to use their network (AFAIK).

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 80000/19999 kbps