General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pentaxian
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:09:26
Print Post

VDSL2 Faceplate Help

[link to this post]

Having just had fibre installed and the speeds are lower (20/30Mb) than we expected and Zen have said they are too low, the line check keeps failing as it is less than 48 hours since connection and there are loads (10000's of thousands of errors on the router).

The BT faceplate that is filtered is old, and I am talking best part of 10 years old, doing a search just now on Amazon I noticed some faceplates say ADSL only and not compatible with VDSL.

Should I get a new BT Mk3 VDSL faceplate installed and see what that does to the speed and errors?

Thanks

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:28:21
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 Faceplate Help

[re: pentaxian] [link to this post]

Please could you upload a picture to somewhere of the socket you are using, and carefully open it and also upload a photograph of the insides smile. Be careful in case there are wires attached to the bit that comes off.

Then we will know exactly what you have and can give better advice.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Apr-16 17:28:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:34:19
Print Post

If its one of the original faceplates then it may be the capacitors are getting old and less reliable, so a new one might help but you should be able to test this by seeing if the modem connects at a different speed when you remove faceplate to use the test socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pentaxian
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:45:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Have just had the faceplate off, in the bottom left corner it says "ADSL v1.0". You can see a picture of it here

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/phone-socket-com...

It is the second from the bottom

Tried the router in the master socket behind using the "hpm-120 splitter" that came with the TP-Link VR900. The sync speed was actually slightly slower than with the faceplate attached so I think whilst it is not helping it is not the only cause of problems.

That is one of the tests that Zen asked me to tick off before they send an Openreach engineer out, I am guessing that they will fit the latest filter system will they if and when they come out.

There are no extensions plugged in anywhere, it is just a telephone extension lead with the telephone attached but the test I did, did not have that attached.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by pentaxian (Sat 09-Apr-16 17:46:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:46:53
Print Post

If no better at the test socket then probably not the faceplate thats an issue, that is assuming you removed the ADSL v1.0 faceplate too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pentaxian
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:53:36
Print Post

Yes, I removed that faceplate and used the socket behind.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-16 17:59:51
Print Post

Does the modem let you see the actual attenuation/connection speed figures?

Standard User pentaxian
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-16 18:05:20
Print Post

All I get is

Image of Router

Up time is obviously about 20 minutes since connection.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-16 18:15:28
Print Post

That suggests there is a problem on the line - with a 15dB downstream attenuation I would expect to see max attainable or sync figures in the 70 or 80 Mbps region. There is certainly a lot of noise to push the rate down which could be down to an external source or a bad connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User pentaxian
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-16 18:20:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks.

The guys at Zen have said that they are happy there is a fault but they cannot raise it to BT for 72 hours after connection as the line is still in training and all line checks will fail.

Obviously I want to protect myself from any Openreach charges should they say the fault is my end so want to make sure I have tested everything and if necessary updated everything.

I will be phone Zen on Tuesday to put the fault through to Openreach.

Would anything in the house be causing noise, I am using a 3m ADSLnation Rj11 to Rj11 cable which has metal connections and is using cat5 cable so is sheilded. It does unfortunately run within 1 foot a plug socket but nothing I can do about that.

Edited by pentaxian (Sat 09-Apr-16 18:23:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to