General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-16 12:03:19
Print Post

FTTP Priority for EO Lines

[link to this post]

Hey all,

I've found out that a local friend has FTTP - he doesn't even know about it and hasn't registered any interest (grr).

How do they go about prioritising houses? I'm desperate for faster fibre, and so annoyed he has a chance to order it, yet he doesn't even want it!

So frustrating.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Apr-16 14:06:57
Print Post

Re: FTTP Priority for EO Lines

[re: ryannn] [link to this post]

There is no exact formula but the majority of EO lines just get VDSL2 when taken to superfast, so there is a big lottery as to whether FTTP is used.

Some projects have extra EU money to target business, so if there are a number of businesses in the area, this may have swayed things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:20:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So you think it'll be unlikely we'll be put on a cabinet? I know one local place just up the road who's closer to us than the house I know has FTTP, so perhaps slowly they're working their way towards us?

What would make them roll FTTC instead of FTTP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(learned) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:32:39
Print Post

All depends on the best solution to cover the target number (or above) of premises for the best value of money, which does indeed vary a lot from area to area (even within the same exchange area).

There are lots of examples out there were EO lines close to exchanges have indeed been put on a new PCP sited near the exchange which was then also twinned with a FTTC DSLAM cab to enable FTTC to those properties within the limitations of obtaining a VDSLx signal.

Those EO lines further away from the exchange may get a combined FTTC & PCP cabinet, FTTP or if they are trailing it FTTrN depending on the best solution.

Also the Councils/Local body working with your local BDUK/SEP scheme my also have priority areas/types or have chosen to priorities upgrading those areas where properties can't get above 2mbps where possible.
I know Fastershire have some baseline targets in some areas of minimum 2Mbps e.g some areas state "Further work to ensure all premises in the project area have the capability to access faster broadband with a minimum of 2Mbps will be completed by December 2016."

Edited by cymru123 (Sun 10-Apr-16 15:37:25)

Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-16 16:28:02
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

So it really is just a wait and see job. So fed up of waiting, end of 2014 was the first date we had, here we are in 2016 no further! :|
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Apr-16 16:49:25
Print Post

Given a postcode can sometimes find hints of what might be happening, I say hints as plans do change and get delayed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Apr-16 15:04:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryannn:
So it really is just a wait and see job. So fed up of waiting, end of 2014 was the first date we had, here we are in 2016 no further! :|
That's nothing, we have had all the FTTP hardware installed in the chamber and up the phone pole since end of 2011 and we are still waiting.

BT/BTOR say we are still down to get it, but just keep fobbing us off with new dates etc that just come and go.

I just wish BT would man up and be truthful instead of fobbing people off.

But one can only hope.

Paul
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-16 15:26:25
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I see your infuriation, and raise you living in a former BT office building, next to the BT tower, opposite their central exchange, with them having no plans to give us any FTTx whatsoever, or interest in explaining why not wink.
Standard User B31
(member) Mon 11-Apr-16 16:58:33
Print Post

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

That sucks!

In Birmingham by any chance?

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area.
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-16 17:23:40
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by B31:
In Birmingham by any chance?

Bingo.

We're trying to get Hyperoptic installed but apparently Openreach are seemingly being pretty useless at installing EAD (fibre) for them as well.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to