General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 12-Apr-16 19:45:46
Print Post

Help. Can anyone tell me which is correct

[link to this post]

Hi all, back in January they ran overhead fibre to my rural welsh village. It is almost certinly FTTP, as no cabinet and no power nearby. But it is not connected at numerous points along the way with coils of it just strapped to poles. All of our properties are EO lines, approx 7km long. About 5 weeks ago they cleared off all the grass off the tops of the manholes along the verges.

According to Openreach checker the postcode is connected to cabinet 3 at Broadhaven exchange (goodness knows where the cab is but it must be miles from us) and is accepting orders - but not for us as the line is too long.

BUT my phone line returns the result of an EO line and no plans for it yet.
BUT SuperFarce Cymru - when I emailed them, have said according to OR there are no absolutely no plans for us until at least next March and implied the cables aren't even run.

Would they really run everything and clear the grass of then leave it for at least 12months? Who/what is correct as there seems to be totally conflicting information.

Does anyone have any reliable contacts please who could make some enquiries???

Many thanks

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 12-Apr-16 20:29:02
Print Post

Re: Help. Can anyone tell me which is correct

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

What's your postcode and I'll take a look?

There is an exchange bundle 3 which is in the process of having the lines converted to a cabinet along with FTTC either with a fibre twin or an all in one pcp/fibre dslam.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-16 07:42:25
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

My postcode is SA62 3LU, BUT Sa62 3GB is better as that is only for four houses in the village where as mine covers quite a large area. Could you just simplfy your statement a bit please, as whilst quite knowledgeable, I'm not a teccy geek LOL.

Where would they put a cab though? as there is nothing within several miles from here if you follow the line route, it 7km back to exchange

Many thanks
indeed
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 13-Apr-16 08:17:03
Print Post

OK so Sa62 3GB is served by a different "exchange bundle" which is just a term used for a bunch of cables leaving the exchange and the area they serve.

As it sometimes the case with EO lines, Openreach basically install a new cabinet to house the copper cables AND the new "fibre technology". Exchange only to cabinet migrations are not simple and it massively varies from area to area depending on the network topology so really, it's impossible to say what, when and if anything will be done. You'll just need to keep an eye on the checker I'm afraid.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-16 13:06:40
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Ok Lee,thank you so much for the help. it is appreciated. Guess I'll have to sit and watch until the fibre is no longer hanging in rolls on the poles, lol]

regards,
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-16 13:41:33
Print Post

Presumably none of the poles has yet had a manifold fitted near the top yet?

If you can see manifolds fitted to any of the poles then that would be an indicator that (at least some of) the houses fed by that pole were set for FTTP.

Edit: Hyperlink corrected

Edited by Rastus (Wed 13-Apr-16 13:45:13)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-16 17:54:52
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

no, no manifolds yet frown we were originally told it would be fttp, but we get such totally conflicting information heaven only knows now.

regards,
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Apr-16 20:13:54
Print Post

Sounds like the same situation as Waterston (SA73) only a few miles from you and also due to get FTTP, the village is served by PCP20 which is a few miles out of the village - actually in Blackbridge on the outskirts of Milford Haven.

We are told that the issue with waterston has been collapsed Ducts and more recently some damaged "cable" had needed to be replaced. The poles in the village have had rolls of cable tied to the top of them for over a year now.

In the meantime the residents (and businesses) there struggle on speeds that are often sub 1 meg.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Thu 14-Apr-16 19:28:39
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Oh blimey, I wont hold my breath then, I might turn blue waiting! Know waterstone very well, ideed had a workshop on the estate there for a few years, and funnily enough was just (20 mins ago) talking about the rocket there that was in Capt america. Small world.

regards,
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Apr-16 20:53:17
Print Post

Ah yes the guy who has it in his garden is a regular visitor to my workplace in the village.

Apparently Openjoke have been working in the area again this week - rumor is they are doing the remedial works ready to progress the roll out.

I'm also trying to work out what is happening for addresses in the SA71 4QP post code Pembroke which is said to be getting FTTP. All I can find out for certain is that the street is served by PCP4. They are surrounded by FTTC but are still stuck on ADSL2+ at best giving around 5 Mbps.

Its so frustrating that there is no source of information on this, and that Superfarce Cymru is of no help either.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI 80/20 FTTC
SWPM PCP29 - Still suffering Random drops and intermittent high error counts

BQM - looking better than it has been....
  Print Thread

Jump to