General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:29:18
Print Post

FTTPoD - Has anyone explored?

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

As previously mentioned, it doesn't look like I'm part of the rollout, but I can't just accept these speeds.

I'm a web designer running a business from home, so it's quite important to get upgraded (even simple things like uploading to Dropbox, FTP'ing is taking stupid amounts of time, not to mention Xcode updates!).

Do BT do FTTPoD? What's the cost likely to be? Could I look at any sort of local grant/scheme to help me?

Any advice on what to do would be super appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:40:19
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD - Has anyone explored?

[re: ryannn] [link to this post]

FTTPoD seems to have been (permanently) "suspended" by Openreach as the installation costs and difficulty turned out to be ridiculously high. (Thousands charged to the customer to install in most cases).

G.Fast, FTTN and vectoring seem to be the current lines of trialling. AIUI a spin-off may be a cheaper way to do FTTPoD via the remote nodes of FTTN.

What are your actual connection speeds, and have you looked into line bonding and services such as Ethernet over FTTC? (Cheaper than full Ethernet links). Line bonding and load balancing also available from them.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:45:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's actually still available from Openreach, it's BT Wholesale who have decided to stop taking orders for it, but I suspect for the same reasons you've mentioned. Openreach still publish the pricing for installations on their website.

I suspect with the "new" connectorisation method that Openreach are trialling will become available as FTTPoD2 in the not too distant future and hopefully cheaper, but I imagine it'll be primarilly aimed at business customers as opposed to residential.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
FTTPoD seems to have been (permanently) "suspended" by Openreach as the installation costs and difficulty turned out to be ridiculously high. (Thousands charged to the customer to install in most cases).

Oh damn!

G.Fast, FTTN and vectoring seem to be the current lines of trialling. AIUI a spin-off may be a cheaper way to do FTTPoD via the remote nodes of FTTN.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, not sure exactly what you mean here,

What are your actual connection speeds, and have you looked into line bonding and services such as Ethernet over FTTC? (Cheaper than full Ethernet links). Line bonding and load balancing also available from them.

I'm getting 6mbps on a good day, as low as 2mbps during peak times. They quoted £100 per month for bonding 2 lines, which seems ridiculously expensive, for not a lot of gain, and not the real answer going forward. I've just switched to business internet to improve my contention ratio...
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:47:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryannn:
Hey guys,

As previously mentioned, it doesn't look like I'm part of the rollout, but I can't just accept these speeds.

I'm a web designer running a business from home, so it's quite important to get upgraded (even simple things like uploading to Dropbox, FTP'ing is taking stupid amounts of time, not to mention Xcode updates!).

Do BT do FTTPoD? What's the cost likely to be? Could I look at any sort of local grant/scheme to help me?

How much is your business generating? Enough to warrant a leased line at around £5-600 per month and a 3 year contract?
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-16 21:55:00
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
In reply to a post by ryannn:
Hey guys,

How much is your business generating? Enough to warrant a leased line at around £5-600 per month and a 3 year contract?

Not enough to warrant that much PCM, I just feel genuinely limited by the speeds I get sometimes, and it is costing me money in time wasted, just so frustrating.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:00:35
Print Post

Bonding of two or three lines may be affordable.

Also you just gave throughput speeds, not connection speeds. For throughput to vary as much as you say, you are either connecting wirelessly to your router; or need to change your ISP; or your exchange is in a mess either generally or in respect of your ISP. Which ISP are you with?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ryannn
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:05:39
Print Post

Bonding of two or three lines may be affordable.

Also you just gave throughput speeds, not connection speeds. For throughput to vary as much as you say, you are either connecting wirelessly to your router; or need to change your ISP; or your exchange is in a mess either generally or in respect of your ISP. Which ISP are you with?

Bonding 2 lines was £100pcm, for 16mbps download/1mbps upload. Connection speeds BT give me are 7/8, but never ever got 7 or 8. My main computer is all wired via Ethernet, cat 6 cable, so it's.not wireless causing the issue. I'm with BT.

Edited by ryannn (Wed 13-Apr-16 22:06:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:23:45
Print Post

Might it not be worth moving property to somewhere where you can get a speed that suits your needs for the price you are willing to pay ?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:27:22
Print Post

What about 4G or wireless?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to