General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DunxR
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:03:50
Print Post

Cabinet Upgrade

[link to this post]

According to superfastsouthyorkshire, my postcode isn't included in their upgrade plans because the house was built after 2014. However, after digging a little further and asking if my cabinet is part of their plans, they told me that Pensitone Cabinet 24 is included in the upgrade programme, scheduled for late 2017. I'm connected to Cabinet 24 and when queried as to if that cabinet is upgraded then would I be able to get FTTC, they wouldn't commit and just gave me some lines about State funding preventing them including me etc.

My question is this, if cabinet 24 is upgraded and I'm connected to it, is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to upgrade to FTTC?

Strangely I also checked with openreach as to the status of Cabinet 24 they say they have no plans to upgrade it at the moment. That doesn't match with what superfastsouthyorkshire told me.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 13-Apr-16 22:54:55
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Upgrade

[re: DunxR] [link to this post]

If it's scheduled for late 2017 then Openreach may not be aware that the funding from BDUK is earmarked for that cabinet yet.

The upgrades are done in phases. My cabinet has been planned a while but has only just been updated on the Openreach site a few months ago.
Standard User DunxR
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:44:58
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks.

If the Cabinet is upgraded and I'm connected to it, would there be any reason why I couldn't upgrade to FTTC? I'm wondering, as the BDUK program is funding it, they don't have a way of excluding properties connected to that cabinet that are no part of their funding as they are partially paying for the upgrade?

I'm assuming that even though I'm not officially covered by the BDUK funding, the fact that they are upgrading my cabinet means I will be able to take advantage anyway?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:49:58
Print Post

If you're connected to that cabinet, and that cabinet is upgraded then FTTC will be available to you, providing your line is within the limits of the technology.

Why would you not be covered by BDUK funding? Do you have a conspiracy theory for why BDUK would not want your to have access to faster broadband?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:53:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by DunxR:
Thanks.

If the Cabinet is upgraded and I'm connected to it, would there be any reason why I couldn't upgrade to FTTC?
The only reason is if your cabinet is too far away from you for VDSL2 to work.

Do you know where your cabinet is?
Standard User DunxR
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:55:37
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Because as I stated in my first post, my house is a new build. BDUK does not cover any houses that did not exist when the market review happened in 2014. It seems that state aid funding (which BDUK is) is only allowed for properties included in the review. Any properties after that date are currently in a black hole with no official plans for when upgrades may happen.

I'm certainly not a tin foil hat wearer wink

Edited by DunxR (Thu 14-Apr-16 10:17:07)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:57:38
Print Post

Nah if you're connected to that cabinet, you'll get access to whatever it can provide, again, as long as your line is within the distance required for VDSL2 to work.
Standard User DunxR
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-16 09:57:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by DunxR:
Thanks.

If the Cabinet is upgraded and I'm connected to it, would there be any reason why I couldn't upgrade to FTTC?
The only reason is if your cabinet is too far away from you for VDSL2 to work.

Do you know where your cabinet is?

It's about 200m from my house, so should have pretty much full speed services when it eventually gets it's upgrade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Apr-16 10:55:14
Print Post

"Strangely I also checked with openreach as to the status of Cabinet 24 they say they have no plans to upgrade it at the moment. That doesn't match with what superfastsouthyorkshire told me."

I'm confused - you seemed to say project had no plans to upgrade, but you say that contradicts what Openreach say when they say no plans.

Who has positively said the cabinet is going to be upgraded? And are you sure, this was not simply them saying it might be reviewed and included at a later date.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DunxR
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-16 13:22:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"Strangely I also checked with openreach as to the status of Cabinet 24 they say they have no plans to upgrade it at the moment. That doesn't match with what superfastsouthyorkshire told me."

I'm confused - you seemed to say project had no plans to upgrade, but you say that contradicts what Openreach say when they say no plans.

Who has positively said the cabinet is going to be upgraded? And are you sure, this was not simply them saying it might be reviewed and included at a later date.

BT Openreach said they have no plans to upgrade as it's not commercially viable currently. However, Superfastsouthyorkshire told me it's in scope for them to upgrade, with a live date Oct-Dec 2017.

Yes that made me wonder as well, I would have thought the body in South Yorkshire representing the BDUK project would have their plans in sync with BT. But maybe the previous post is correct, in so far as maybe superfastsouthyorkshire haven't communicated their plans fully with BT yet.

I guess I'll keep an eye on the BT website for any changes and keep my fingers crossed that the 2017 date is correct.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to