General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:09:02
Print Post

FTTC - 18/2 Mbps SPECIAL OFFER

[link to this post]

BT Openreach Trial 18Mbps FTTC Broadband Speed for Slow ADSL Lines

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefi...
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:12:54
Print Post

Re: FTTC - 18/2 Mbps SPECIAL OFFER

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
BT Openreach Trial 18Mbps FTTC Broadband Speed for Slow ADSL Lines

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefi...

I suspect this will be to encourage people away from exchange based services but not commit to a higher priced monthly fee. If any ISP's offer this, I reckon it'll be priced the same as their ADSL offerings.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:15:02
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

18/2 are probably won't last long cos of crosstalk will reduced those speed!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:22:15
Print Post

Not quite. I suspect most of the customers they will be targeting will have lines capable of much faster speeds than 18/2. Much like those who opt for 40/10 when they have a max achievable rate of 70+.

The 18/2 will just be a "cap" like all other Openreach products.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:25:48
Print Post

You are basing your statement here on a presumption - that most who want this speed are on long lines. This is a flawed presumption.

I know my property can only get 7-8Mb on ADSL. It just so happens to have an enabled cabinet serving it, and so I opted to go for a 40/10 unlimited VDSL. Even running at 40/10, I still have a ton load of headroom on the line, and when I was running it on 80/20, I got full 20 upload with around 70 download.

What is my point here?

My point is, there are probably some people out there on a similar setup of line, that don't want a 40/10 connection, but also don't want a slower 8Mb connection either. This product fits nicely in the middle. Further more, if the price point is down at ADSL prices, then I can definitely see people opting for this package - it's a nice reasonably fast connection, cheap, will have loads of headroom and so.... in retrospect of your statement here - I doubt cross talk will impact it at all, and for the most part, it will probably be more reliable than the fastest ADSL connection they could get on the same line.

EDIT: Having said all that, the article says:

Eligibility
The special offer pricing will only be available for those end customers with slow lines that we can identify on eligible cabinets. We are expected to publish details of those initial cabinets and eligible lines on 15 April 2016. While we hold the right to modify cabinet eligibility lists, we do not expect to remove eligible cabinets once published and approved for special offer. The special offer is not available to SIM only provides.

I guess it comes down to what they mean by "slow lines". If that applies to lines like mine (described above) then great. If not, looks like they will limit orders on such lines to the higher speed packages like 40/2, 40/10, 55/10, 80/20 as they will only be offering the 18/2 on specific cabinets.

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Fri 15-Apr-16 16:02:42)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:33:45
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I get your point. Personally, with only 2 of us in this house while 6meg is fine for most of what we need, there are times when a bit more would do. 18/2 would be more than enough for what we use it for right now and if it were available, would probably be the package I'd go for.

What you're saying is spot on regards of crosstalk affecting the speeds, most lines will be able to get way more than 18meg so even if crosstalk did affect the line, it would be unlikely to impact it so much that it caused the sync to drop below the cap of 18meg.

However, for now, during the special offer price at least, Openreach have stated that this won't be available to all lines, only ones that they have selected from enabled cabinets that have a "poor ADSL experience". What they class as poor hasn't been defined.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:34:42
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Yes, I just updated my post after reading the article. Probably should have done that before I posted. smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:38:04
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

The special offer pricing will only be available for those end customers with slow lines that we can identify on eligible cabinets. We are expected to publish details of those initial cabinets and eligible lines on 15 April 2016.
To me that means people who can get significantly above 18Mbps will not be able to order this product.

There is also the question as to which ISPs will decide to retail it anyway.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User godsell4
(member) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:38:18
Print Post

If it helps move everybody off ADSL/ADSL2+ does that help the ANFP to be simplified and be a benefit in the long term?

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Apr-16 14:39:55
Print Post

BT wholesale aren't taking part in this trial so ISPs which rely on them can't participate..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to