General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mellias
(newbie) Fri 15-Apr-16 22:13:28
Print Post

FTTC speed capping by BT Wholesale on long distance lines?

[link to this post]

Hi, i'm not really one for taking part in forums and i hope this is the right place for me to post about how absurd this is.

First some backstory. I bought "BT Unlimited faster broadband" the moment it FTTC was enabled in our area about 6 months ago. Our phone line is about 2.4-2.5km long, however the postcode estimate still thinks our line is considerably longer than it really is. I no longer have the order email, however i remember their esitamate for FTTC being 1.9/0.3.

Asides from 2 months of ADSL that was capped at 2meg (because 20cn dlm loves to get stuck, and BT's customer support team are 'very' capable of understanding issues...) we were able to max out our connection speed on adsl with a very stable 7.1/0.29 for the 8 months we were living there prior to 'upgrading' to FTTC.

Changover day came, and having purchased a Huwai HG612 prior to this, and uploaded the hacked firmware so i could use dslstats, i was looking forward to the improved internet speeds and got a nice and very stable speed of 11.8/1.3 and for the first 2 months it was great Then all of a sudden the speed was capped. Our connection speed, is now capped at 5800/800 (a noticeable speed reduction, and an even slower download speed than our previous adsl) and the ip profile for our line is calculated from that capped speed and not from the sync speed, which has remained stable, with the same sync speeds i've been getting since day 1.

BT's tier 1 support are as useless as ever, claiming i should be very happy with the speeds i am getting and, with one exception, that they will not send an engineer round or contact tier 2 support because i am getting the 'advertised speed' for my line. - I've been badgering on and on at them for several months now, and all i've managed to achieve is getting sent 5 new homehubs, and years taken off my life expectancy. The only time BT ever sent an engineer round he found no issues with the line, and no issues with anything in the house, he didn't understand what the issue was and of course, nothing ever happened as a result of his visit.

Interestingly My bt wholesale availability checker shows this http://i.imgur.com/w3LOK6B.png - The adsl speed info isn't accurate at all. However the fttc type A max downlsteam and minimum uploadstream listed on the site is exactly what i'm capped at. Which really adds to my suspicions that BT wholesale have capped my connection speed for some reason.

Does anyone know what is going on to cause this speed capping is or if there is anything i can do to fix this?

P.s i am in the process of leaving bt and going with sky's adsl2+ option because it's significantly cheaper and finally avaliable in our area. I would assume FTTC all depend on btwholesale so getting fttc, which costs the exact same, seems pointless to me so far.

Edited by mellias (Fri 15-Apr-16 22:25:38)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 15-Apr-16 22:26:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed capping by BT Wholesale on long distance line

[re: mellias] [link to this post]

What's your SNRM ?
Standard User mellias
(newbie) Fri 15-Apr-16 22:38:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What's your SNRM ?

Up SNRM: 15.3 dB
Down SNRM: 8.9 dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Apr-16 22:50:29
Print Post

I would assume FTTC all depend on btwholesale so getting fttc, which costs the exact same, seems pointless to me so far.

Not so, it is an Openreach product, so if you went with Sky FTTC it would be them you'd be dealing with.

It wasn't 'BT Wholesale' who would have capped your existing service, it would be DLM which applied that, almost certainly in response to the characteristics of the line as it sees it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Apr-16 00:16:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

On a line of 2.4km distance from cabinet would usually recommend ADSL/ADSL2+ particularly if able to get 7 Mbps type speeds from it.

VDSL2 is very much at its extremes at this distance so the smallest thing can make DLM systems react to stabilise error rates

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Apr-16 00:20:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by mellias:
Changover day came, and having purchased a Huwai HG612 prior to this, and uploaded the hacked firmware so i could use dslstats, i was looking forward to the improved internet speeds and got a nice and very stable speed of 11.8/1.3 and for the first 2 months it was great Then all of a sudden the speed was capped. Our connection speed, is now capped at 5800/800 (a noticeable speed reduction, and an even slower download speed than our previous adsl) and the ip profile for our line is calculated from that capped speed and not from the sync speed, which has remained stable, with the same sync speeds i've been getting since day 1.
I don't know how to make this sound anything but hard, as it isn't intended to be, but what you say there just can't be true. Because of that it is hard to advise you.

Are you perhaps reading the Maximum speed as the sync speed?

If you could post the line stats listing from DSLStats things would be much clearer. Looking something like in this post.

Plus running the BT Wholesale Performance test, making sure you are connected by Ethernet to the router, ignore the initial results page, and click the Further Diagnostics at the bottom. Please post the full contents of the two text boxes of results.
Does anyone know what is going on to cause this speed capping is or if there is anything i can do to fix this?
Given the results from the above we may be able to come up with something.
P.s i am in the process of leaving bt and going with sky's adsl2+ option because it's significantly cheaper and finally avaliable in our area. I would assume FTTC all depend on btwholesale so getting fttc, which costs the exact same, seems pointless to me so far.
Just to confirm what another poster has said, Sky FTTC does not use BT Wholesale. Nor does it have IP Profiles, for that reason.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to