General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sanguine
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 10:48:50
Print Post

Cabinet live, 300m away but told "too far for fibre"

[link to this post]

Hi there, I hope some wise person will have seen this situation before.

I have been waiting for our village to be fibre enabled for a couple of years, and recently new cabs were installed and the old EO lines connected through it, including mine.
The cabinet has just gone live and everyone in the village can now order fibre, except for our house and a couple of my immediate neighbours. (They share a telegraph pole with our house, which seems relevant)

In all directions from my house, houses 50 -100 yards away from me are able to order (with 80Mb speeds estimated), as well as the farms a mile or more away.

I am about 300m from the cabinet down a straight road, although the overhead wiring comes around my house and probably adds another 50-100m.

If I enter my details on BT infinity checker (or the local Fastershire (BDUK) website) I am told that although I am connected to the live cabinet, I am too far away to order fibre. Emailing Fastershire a few weeks back, they suggested that my address would be upgraded, but Openreach subsequently have emailed to say "sorry you can't order fibre, bad luck, you are too far away".

This seems crazy to me given how close I am. Does this crop up from time to time or is this very unusual? And can anything be done or I just have to suck it up and wait and see? (I suspect I know the answer).

Thanks for any insights.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-16 11:12:22
Print Post

Re: Cabinet live, 300m away but told "too far for fibre"

[re: Sanguine] [link to this post]

What results do you get when you put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com ?
Standard User Sanguine
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 13:00:54
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Same as it has been for some time...

Telephone no is served by cabinet 7

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I should probably add that cabinet 7 is the only one in the village - noone is connected via any other cabinet.

Edited by Sanguine (Tue 19-Apr-16 13:14:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-16 13:15:11
Print Post

You need to speak to your ISP and have them take up the issue with Openreach. It's possibly just a records issue that needs sorting out.

Of course it could be that the way your cable is routed means you ARE too far from the cabinet, in which case little can be done.
Standard User Sanguine
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 13:24:13
Print Post

I'll try to run the gauntlet of speaking to BT then!

I would have thought that even if there was somehow an extra 2 miles of copper coiled up under our telegraph pole, this would have meant we would have slower ADSL than other locals (especially as we would have then had a 4+ mile EO line originally) - we usually manage 4-5 MB which is the same speed as our neighbours who are now fibre enabled. (and is still their estimated ADSL speed through dslchecker)

I am clearly missing something...

Thanks for the reply.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Tue 19-Apr-16 13:34:21
Print Post

You might find it better to go through a non standard route. Posting on the BT forums may be one way, other email addresses and routes are available should you take the time to look for them smile
Standard User Moonpie
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 14:01:05
Print Post

I had similar issue also Fastershire but im about 1600m from cabinet, anyway once my cabinet was enabled only about 3/4 of my street could order. I also got the too far away message but after a month or so it updated and I was able to order FTTC faster broadband product. You could try the BT customer retentions line as well as I found them more helpful.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Apr-16 16:03:11
Print Post

[re: Moonpie] [link to this post]

After giving the more normal avenues a go, then can try emailing me, and will pester the right people in Openreach.

Its relatively rare for this problem to extend beyond a week or so, but it can usually be fixed if it does and providers stick to the 'computer says no'

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sanguine
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-16 13:04:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice Moonpie, and an encouraging story as it's been about 4 weeks since our cab went live.

MrSaffron - thanks for the offer, hoping I won't need to take you up on it, we will see!
Standard User Disappointed
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-16 19:58:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sanguine:
Hi there, I hope some wise person will have seen this situation before.

I have been waiting for our village to be fibre enabled for a couple of years, and recently new cabs were installed and the old EO lines connected through it, including mine.
The cabinet has just gone live and everyone in the village can now order fibre, except for our house and a couple of my immediate neighbours. (They share a telegraph pole with our house, which seems relevant)

In all directions from my house, houses 50 -100 yards away from me are able to order (with 80Mb speeds estimated), as well as the farms a mile or more away.

I am about 300m from the cabinet down a straight road, although the overhead wiring comes around my house and probably adds another 50-100m.

If I enter my details on BT infinity checker (or the local Fastershire (BDUK) website) I am told that although I am connected to the live cabinet, I am too far away to order fibre. Emailing Fastershire a few weeks back, they suggested that my address would be upgraded, but Openreach subsequently have emailed to say "sorry you can't order fibre, bad luck, you are too far away".

This seems crazy to me given how close I am. Does this crop up from time to time or is this very unusual? And can anything be done or I just have to suck it up and wait and see? (I suspect I know the answer).

Thanks for any insights.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to