General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-16 17:37:20
Print Post

North Yorkshire (A170 into Helmsley) New ducting??

[link to this post]

Just putting this out there to see if any info can be found...

The A170 into helmsley was on traffic lights this last two weeks or so for BT to put ~630m of ducting into the verge down the hill. Our village (Sproxton) is at the top of the Hill, so naturally I was curious to see if that might be some progress towards getting fibre installed for the village!?!?

Anyone with any info at all? Postcode is YO625EF.

At the moment the village cabinet is ~3km away actually in helmsley so we are unable to get FTTC at all, let alone decent ADSL (2mb!!!). I am actually using a decent Fixed wireless solution which gets me ~12mbit down which matches what I got in York on ADSL2.

Our parish council contacted SFNY and our MP which both resulted in an answer regarding high commercial costs etc... so fibre has been a non starter..................is the roadworks a sign of some hope for us anyone?? smile

(hopefully!)

Moorsweb rural wireless broadband
12Mbit down / 7mbit up, great service.

Edited by mrvanx (Fri 22-Apr-16 17:45:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Apr-16 19:49:01
Print Post

Re: North Yorkshire (A170 into Helmsley) New ducting??

[re: mrvanx] [link to this post]

Nothing obvious to confirm anything is happening

Makes no sense for this to carry on through Sproxton to Helmsley since they have access on some cabinets already, so could be start of a fibre feed for VDSL2 for the village. Projects sometimes don't publicise things much in case of delays, so often silence until everything is almost ready to go.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 29-Apr-16 21:02:05
Print Post

If the ducting came right to the junction and turned into the B1257 look out for a new mini cab or Fibre splitters up the poles. ( You won't get both).

The village isn't really big enough for a Cab so if you are really lucky you may get FTTP. However this will take far longer than FTTC so don't hold your breath.

If the Cab appears it will be far quicker. ( Likely to be by the Phone box of lamppost to get at power.)

If the ducting stopped before the junction all bets are off for the minute.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:56:08
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

The roadworks only started around halfway to the village towards Helmsley, there's a grey box in the verge which I assume is something Associated?

This is the point on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xySu4wTEi9E2

There isn't anything on the horizon to continue the work according to roadworks.org but I guess that doesn't mean much. A whole load of work was done in Helmsley doing some resurfacing etc... Mainly for the tour de Yorkshire route, still it's always good to have some hope eh?

I'll keep my eye out for anything else though. In terms of FTTP one of my colleagues lives in a village near Pickering and up until a few weeks ago was using a fixed wireless provider similar to me, then suddenly he received a letter saying FTTP was being brought into the village and is now superfast...so you never know! (Optimism kicking in now heh)

We'll see what happens in the near future.

Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:59:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Either way hopefully something is being done. I was surprised how quickly they managed to get the ducting in, it was completed in around 3 days, they left the verge really tidy also!

Standard User agkq62
(regular) Sun 01-May-16 10:54:42
Print Post

Be interesting to see what happens. I live at Yearsley N Yorks, EO lines to the next village Brandsby. About 2/3 years ago BT ran a fibre ducting from the service manhole in the village down to Brandsby, confirmed by the men doing the work, got all excited, but nothing has ever come of it.

Keep us updated.

Post code YO61 4SL

Edited by agkq62 (Sun 01-May-16 14:38:00)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 17:55:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrvanx:
The roadworks only started around halfway to the village towards Helmsley, there's a grey box in the verge which I assume is something Associated?

This is the point on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xySu4wTEi9E2

The grey box doesn't look like something related to BT. Could it be something for the vehicle sensor loops in the road?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 17:55:41
Print Post

Re: North Yorkshire (A170 into Helmsley) New ducting?? *DELETED*

Post deleted by WWWombat
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Fri 06-May-16 16:42:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Not sure, it's just happened to be in the same rough area where the ducting work led to.

Just FYI for locals and/or people in the know the village my colleague lives in, which suddenly got FTTP (yes FTTP), is Newton-On-Rawcliffe.

He didn't have particularly good things to say of the guys who came to install it either but that's a different story.

Standard User phil_w73
(learned) Wed 11-May-16 08:17:52
Print Post

Who'd have thought that would happen? Just checked a number in the village of Newton-On-Rawcliffe and it came up on cab E1 with FTTP details in the checker - the same cab as some of my family but there's no FTTP details on theirs so their extra bit of rural distance keeps them from getting it I suppose (they are further out through the village on the way to Cropton).

So woeful ADSL remains for them frown Never mind...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to