General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hunnymonster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-16 09:56:12
Print Post

Occasional plummeting attainable rate

[link to this post]

Hive mind of TBB - I seek your help

I had FTTC installed in Feb 2015, basically the moment it became available to me - it was estimated (and I knew this to be hopelessly optimistic) that I'd get 50-68M down... the day arrived and it actually managed 42.

Since then it has been basically entirely stable, although it slowly dropped to around 33-34 and after changing from the Openreach ECI modem (plus a LinkSys router) for a FritzBox (to get G.INP and to condense the installation into a single device) it rocketed up to be stable around 43-45M.

Over time, the maximum permitted rate by the remote end (started at 80000) has dropped in steps - 60000, 44000, 40000,35000, 32400.

Nothing has changed at my end - there is no CPE attached other than the router, there is no premises wiring (I had that disconnected before the VDSL install happened). It's entirely underground fed for the entire distance to the exchange.

I've had a dig around in the historical mails the FritzBox sends me about the connection and I notice the periodic drops in attainable rate (light blue line) and the actual sync (green line), you can see in the linked picture - http://imgur.com/7mJap4k - those drops started on March 15th and occur 0-2 times per day ever since.

Now I know I'll never get near 80M (I'm 250m from the cabinet but the line actually goes at least 900m to get to me) - but having been happily receiving 43-45 for the last 6 months, I'm now seemingly condemned to 32...

Any ideas what the likely cause is? I'm guessing it's a ham-fisted jumpering of a nearby line that's started it...

edit: The attainable rate is still constantly in the 43-45M range (apart from the drops in the picture - which typically last approximately 1 hour at no particular time of day)

Edited by hunnymonster (Tue 26-Apr-16 10:17:19)

Standard User smsmasters
(committed) Tue 26-Apr-16 10:05:39
Print Post

Re: Occasional plummeting attainable rate

[re: hunnymonster] [link to this post]

REIN, SHINE or crosstalk.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-16 10:06:53
Print Post

[re: smsmasters] [link to this post]

Suddenly - it appears on one day after 12 months and only occurs for short bursts?

Edited by hunnymonster (Tue 26-Apr-16 10:07:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:01:07
Print Post

I got connected in January 2016 on a 330 metre pair. sycning at 116000Kbps DS and 31000Kbps US without any error correction such as G.INP being required...

Then crosstalk took wee chunks of my bandwidth away (3-4Mbps downstream per line connected it seemed)

Was sat at 79000/25000kbps quiet happily for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden one afternoon I lost 16000/3000kbps in one hit...

After 2 engineers visits (3 hours total investigation time) which included a pair swap, all that could be done was a wee 2000kbps downstream speed boost.

Seams the issue is REIN combined with poor alumium cabling which is a crosstalk nightmare in the area.

After investigation by BT retail Openreach & Wholesale have said they aren't going to investigate further as they can't force noise emitters to cease the activity/equiopment and they're not prepared to replace bad cabling.

BT has since given me a discount for staying and revoked my contract as they're speed estimates where broken.

My line speed without error correction is 56000kbps.... 60Mbps below its day 1 rate frown

Unfortunately my building wasn't connected to the Virgin Media network that runs 2 metres in front of the building... next to the BT network :smile so stuck until further notice.

BTInfinity - 68000/22000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:15:30
Print Post

Further info - the sudden drops only happen Sunday to Thursday (never on a Friday or Saturday) and mostly in the 1600-2000 timeframe - always apparently lasting for about an hour...

What makes the least sense about it all is that it never drops below 40M attainable (even when at the nadir of the drop) yet my maximum allowable rate is now almost 25% below even that (and no doubt going to fall further)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:32:24
Print Post

Sounds like bursts of noise hitting the line. If you know the route your line takes, does it go past any factories or small businesses? Perhaps one which do not open on Fridays such as ones run by adherents to certain non-Chiristian religions?

You could have decent bit loading across the full spectrum and when te noise hits, it takes out a block of tones and does not affect others which continue as normal. hence the 40Mbps limit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:38:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

This is in a very small town (more like a village but don't let the locals hear that)...

The number of "alternative weekend" businesses is zero. Most of the time the attainable sync is in the range 43500-45300 - but I haven't seen a drop in attainable rate below 40000 at any point (so I would assume that should be my attainable rate not 25% lower than that - and that would be ok - not great, but ok)

Other than one business (runs Monday to Friday) diagonally opposite the cabinet, the line only passes domestic premises, all underground. Oldest cabling should be no more than 15 years old (given local layout).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:42:06
Print Post

I was just trying to think of why it only happens Sunday to Thursday and only for short periods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Apr-16 11:44:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You're not alone in trying to work that out... frown
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-16 12:01:31
Print Post

Is there any certain times of day it happen's??

Perhaps evening when someone's TV or Recevier is on....

BTInfinity - 68000/22000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to