General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andrewvj
(newbie) Fri 29-Apr-16 20:11:23
Print Post

Broadband discrepancy between postcode and phone

[link to this post]

Hello,

My partner and I are currently in the process of purchasing a house -- being remote workers, the internet speed is paramount.

We checked the postcode for the property we're looking at (TR16 6JX) and everything looks fantastic. However, we then went a bit further and tried to find some phone numbers in this postcode.

We found the following http://www.192.com/places/tr/tr16-6/tr16-6jx/:

* Filtrick Farm Cottages, 01209 216392
* Foxgloves, 01209 214714

For the first, checking based on the address and postcode (using Zen.co.uk), says that we can get:

* Farm: 27.4Mbps download (Min. 16.5Mbps and Max. 35.2Mbps), 5.5Mbps upload
* Foxgloves: 40Mbps download (Min. 27.4Mbps and Max. 54.6Mbps), 8.5Mbps upload

However, if we then check the phone numbers (again using Zen.co.uk), we get:

* Farm: 15.7Mbps download (Min. 6.9Mbps and Max. 21.8Mbps), 0.8Mbps upload
* Foxgloves: 13.1Mbps download (Min. 5.1Mbps and Max. 20Mbps), 0.8Mbps

If I check the actual Openreach service checker for both of the *addresses* https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html, it reports:

* Farm: Clean, high: 35.2; impacted, low: 27.4
* Foxgloves: Clean, high: 54.6; impacted, low: 16.5

And if I try the phone numbers it states it can't find them!!!

Can anyone help me understand this? We don't yet have the phone number of the property we're looking to buy, so we can't check that. Is there anyway for us to be able to estimate what we might get? If we can only get 0.8 up, it means living there won't be possible!

Is there any chance that, if we got Openreach to install a second line, that we might be able to get "better" internet than what is presented currently?

Also, the Openreach "checker" states that both of the addresses in that postcode can get FTTP -- are sales of this still suspended? Or would that be a possibility?

Thanks!

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Apr-16 21:33:40
Print Post

Re: Broadband discrepancy between postcode and phone

[re: andrewvj] [link to this post]

When you say FTTP I presume you mean the FTTP on Demand service which may cost several £1000 to install, if you can find an ISP willing to take the order. Which only shows on the BT Wholesale checker and not the Openreach one.

The postcode centre looks to be around 1km away from the cabinet so 16 to 30 Mbps looks likely, but may be higher if postcode is over a large area, i.e. properties are spread and you are the closest property to the cabinet.

There are postcodes with native FTTP available in the area eg. TR15 3YZ so if certain speeds are needed looking at those may be needed or you contact estate agent to find out what speeds current owner gets, and maybe even pay for an upgrade to FTTC to learn what speeds are really possible. Sounds expensive but would be cheap compared to the other costs of moving.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-16 17:47:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by andrewvj:
Can anyone help me understand this? We don't yet have the phone number of the property we're looking to buy, so we can't check that. Is there anyway for us to be able to estimate what we might get? If we can only get 0.8 up, it means living there won't be possible!

What about your full address, including postcode, you don't seem to have mentioned checking that.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 66999/19999 at approx 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sat 30-Apr-16 20:46:01
Print Post

Andrewvj

Both address checkers are giving the same information ( Just in a different way) however as the BTWholesale one will not give the phone numbers you can deduce that the number are not served by BTwholesale.

The ZEN info for the phone numbers is likely to be based on info about the existing service using ADSL2+ (from a LLU supplier maybe)

The address answers will be based on the speed the DP ( Distribution point) will give, in a rural area ( like this) with very dispersed properties this may not reflect properties a long way from the DP.

You need to find the phone number for the property and check that.

Even using the full address of the property will give you the Cabinet it is served from and an estimate for it. Looking at the distance from the Cab will tell people on here what your likely speed is if you can get FTTC in both directions.

eg Address 2, FILTRICK FARM COTTAGES, CARNKIE, REDRUTH, TR16 6JX on Exchange REDRUTH is served by Cabinet 18 You need to find cab 18 and get the distance to the building you want to buy.

If the address is served by FTTP you may have a smaller choice of suppliers BUT your speed will be fixed to what package you buy.
  Print Thread

Jump to