General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thecanadianjen
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 19:39:00
Print Post

Area a cabinet box serves with FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi there!

I apologize if this has been asked before, I looked and could not find it. So a property I am looking to rent has FTTC enabled. It says it is served by Cabinet 12 in Congleton. However, I cannot find anywhere that shows how large an area a cabinet serves.

The reason I am asking is because a week ago it said it was available, now it's saying the cabinet is full and we'd have to wait. There doesn't appear to be a signup for a waiting list either. So it's got me wondering what type of time frames these usually have and how wide an area is served by them. Obviously if it's a wide area we're more likely to have people moving given it's a somewhat rural place.

I'm a bit gutted, as I don't think we could take the place if it's like a 6+ month wait for decent internet as I work from home a lot and need good internet. Advice/experiences would be super helpful!

Thanks!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-16 19:49:35
Print Post

Re: Area a cabinet box serves with FTTC

[re: thecanadianjen] [link to this post]

I'd say about a mile radius. If I check cab 11 using postcode CW12 4JA, it has availability now. The last time I was waiting for a cab with a waiting list, it took about 4 months.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sat 30-Apr-16 20:03:49
Print Post

Jen

It depends on the density of the area.

A Cab 'usually' serves around 400 premises in a built up area. In a more rural area it may only serve 100-150.

The fibre twin is usually fitted with capacity for 48 Ports when new. If the speeds in your area were poor these can be taken up quite quickly, Openreach can fit a new card to increase to 96 very quickly HOWEVER if 96 are taken they need to provide a new 100 pair tie cable to the old cab and this can take some months. ( They will also equip a new fibre to give an additional 1Gb capacity but this is quite quick to do normally).

Keep checking while looking for somewhere else, but you will need to be quick once it becomes available again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thebigdolphin1
(regular) Sun 01-May-16 04:48:51
Print Post

CodeLook (a website with up-to-date information on exchanges and cabinets) states that P12 on exchange Congleton (MRCON) is connected to 652 individual properties. A fibre cabinet can usually serve up to 288 different lines at a time.
  Print Thread

Jump to