General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sylvian
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:50:22
Print Post

Exchange and cabinet fibre enabled but unable to place order

[link to this post]

Both my exchange and cabinet are fibre enabled, the house is just under a mile from the cabinet. When I tried to order unlimited faster broadband the sub 15mbps service, the BT agent said he could not accept my order and that even though everything was enabled it has not been activated. I have checked with openreach and it has been enabled and activated. Anybody know a contact in open reach who could get this sorted for me? I think it's just a records issue. I'm currently getting 5/6 Mbps with ADSL so the cabling seems up to scratch.
Standard User Computerman142
(member) Sun 01-May-16 08:55:22
Print Post

Re: Exchange and cabinet fibre enabled but unable to place o

[re: Sylvian] [link to this post]

Are you just under a mile in a straight line distance or by road? Because your line actually may take a longer route than just under mile to get to the cabinet which case maybe 2km in length in which Openreach may see this unworthy for FTTC. Same thing for the ADSL I used to get that speed on my old ADSL but that doesn't mean that you can order fibre its about the distance the line takes to the cabinet and the FTTC power output. Also what does it say if you enter your details in this http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres... ?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL Cabinet 6

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC estimated 21.2/2 - Currently getting 21.1Mbps/2Mbps on an banded FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps. Using HG612 on B030SP08 and TrendNET TEW-823DRU, Line G.INP enabled
Standard User Sylvian
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 09:56:38
Print Post

It's under a mile by road.

Exchange Biggar is served by cabinet 4.

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-May-16 10:26:11
Print Post

If you are west of the A72/A702 junction then not surprised cannot order as by our reckoning that is too far to get VDSL at more than existing ADSL speeds.

Cabinet has only just gone live so if along A702 in Biggar give it a few days and checker may update but based on ADSL2+ estimates I don't think you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 01-May-16 10:32:50
Print Post

So, the checker says NO for your address.

Can you try your immediate neighbours phone numbers and addresses? what do those come back with?

Then, start to work back down what you think te cable route is, input those addresses and see what comes back.

And 1 mile be road does not mean 1 mile of cable. It could be significantly longer. Friends are under a mile from their exchange - however the cable length is 7 to 8 miles. The same can happen with cabinets - cable do not always follow the most direct route.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Sylvian
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 11:34:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I have done that and the properties I have checked out with my street moving towards the cabinet is accepting orders for unlimited faster broadband.
Standard User Sylvian
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 11:36:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you are west of the A72/A702 junction then not surprised cannot order as by our reckoning that is too far to get VDSL at more than existing ADSL speeds.

Cabinet has only just gone live so if along A702 in Biggar give it a few days and checker may update but based on ADSL2+ estimates I don't think you.

So based on the estimates it looks like it will be ADSL for the foreseeable future?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-May-16 11:45:56
Print Post

From what little information that is out there that looks to be the case i.e. Coulter is too far, Cornhill Road which is closer to the cabinet might get something, but its going to be slow i.e. ADSL may be faster.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 01-May-16 11:46:19
Print Post

Do you see a pattern of increasing speed forecasts as you move towards the cabinet? How do they compare with the ADSLx forecasts? Are your immediate neighbours seeing FTTC forecasts way above the ADSLx or is it below?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Towerman
(newbie) Sun 01-May-16 19:43:42
Print Post

On the same Exchange and Cabinet No4 - ML12 6GF

I was able to order FTTC last Thursday (28 April) with Zen, went for 40/10 offering as max is:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 60 46.1 13.5 8.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 45.7 25 10.2 5.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14 -- 8 to 18.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 14 Up to 1 8 to 18.5 Available

Order due to be fulfilled on 12 May
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to