General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lazyade
(newbie) Wed 04-May-16 21:58:45
Print Post

FTTH- switching

[link to this post]

I'm fortunate enough to have a property that was built in 2008 with FTTH installed. But BT are my provider and I can't seem to find anyway of switching and am therefore paying £29.99 per month for Infinity 2 plus the £17.99 line rental (and have just got an email saying both are going up). I've tried the switching sites but whenever I enter my postcode and address I typically get an error saying my property cannot have broadband (or it's not available in my area).

Can anyone advise if you can switch FTTH and if so how!

Thanks, Adrian
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 04-May-16 22:06:04
Print Post

Re: FTTH- switching

[re: lazyade] [link to this post]

I suspect you'll need to speak to your new chosen FTTP provider such as Zen or AAISP.

However, as far as I know, BT are pretty much the cheapest for FTTP.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-May-16 22:37:32
Print Post

Your choices for alternative providers over FTTP are going to be pretty limited.

BT Retail, BT Business, Plusnet, and some of the smaller (generally business) ISP's.

What if you speak to Plusnet ? Just take their broadband and drop the FVA service, would that save you any money ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 07:32:04
Print Post

Have you had the email from BT yet telling you of the price rises? If you have/do then mine about half way down had a "special offer" for me - I was already on an offer but the new offer actually knocks £15 a month off the new Infinity 2 price (new price is I think £32.99 a month and they offered it for me at £17.99 a month for 12 months - obviously new 12 month contract).
Standard User libf
(regular) Thu 05-May-16 08:24:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Plusnet only let existing customers take FTTP, so you have to take a copper product from them and then apply to join the FTTP trial. Not possible for native FTTP users who already have a supply from someone else.

(I had to switch to Plusnet at my old address in order to be able to get their FTTP services when I moved to a new build with native FTTP, and if I ever leave then I won't be able to go back, unless they stop treating it as a trial! No reason to leave at £17.50/month and no phone line though!)

Edited by libf (Thu 05-May-16 08:25:58)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 09:27:53
Print Post

[re: libf] [link to this post]

Fair enough, thank you for the info.

Kinda odd though, with the push for large new estates (round here anyway) to be FTTP only, why deny yourself easy revenue when there are so few CP's offering service.

Standard User libf
(regular) Thu 05-May-16 10:05:37
Print Post

I agree. Strange to keep 'trailling' something which is now known tech and when there doesn't seem to be any intention to ever make it a full product. When it's been mentioned on the forums the staff say that it's mostly to do with the fact that only a few staff are trained to deal with it, and there would need to be a much larger customer base to make it worthwhile to offer as a full product..
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 10:21:29
Print Post

[re: libf] [link to this post]

Agreed. How much additional training would it honestly take I wonder ? Learn a couple of new systems maybe ?
S'not like they have to learn how to splice or anything is it ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-May-16 13:02:35
Print Post

On call centre stuff - apologies if I generalise too much for those who are and read this, but impression one gets is the good staff very quickly are promoted to help manage/run and you have a fairly quick turn around of people who are new and if the pay is low probably have little incentive to really understand. In short all too often if its not on the script people aren't bothered.

Things may change with respect to FTTH once it gets to the 2 to 3% availability region I suspect, but Plusnet is really competing on price against TalkTalk these days, who don't see GEA-FTTP. Plusnet is not the techie ISP of choice it was many years ago.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 05-May-16 14:31:45
Print Post

As you say your address is served by Native FTTP only. Most switching sites using an address will be using databases showing copper served premises and will be ignoring all FTTP only premises as the choice of providers is low, none of which will pay them to switch you!

You will have to do the hard work finding a new supplier, Some pepole have already suggested some on here but most are aimed at business use so are not usually cheaper than BT. .

Best advice is to check the BT offer when you get the e-mail as a base price, then check each suppliers site poeple have listed. It could be worth trying Plusnet to see if you could migrate directly but you will need to speak to a 'manager' or 'back office' support no the call centre.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to