General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KenHarris
(newbie) Sun 15-May-16 19:24:43
Print Post

Got BT FTTP in Falmouth, can't switch to another provider!

[link to this post]

Located in Falmouth. 11 months ago I ordered BT Infinity 1 and was surprised to get it delivered as FTTP (expected FTTC). With my BT new customer discounts expiring this month together with imminent price increases I started searching for an alternative supplier to switch to. But it appears I am locked in to BT as far as fibre is concerned, I cannot find any other supplier that can provide via fibre all can only supply via copper from exchange at about 3Mb/s frown. Any advice?
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Sun 15-May-16 19:35:39
Print Post

Re: Got BT FTTP in Falmouth, can't switch to another provide

[re: KenHarris] [link to this post]

There's a few, but most are more expensive than BT.

Zen and AAISP are the main others offering FTTP services.

PlusNet do offer it however it's only available as an upgrade once you have their ADSL service.
Standard User KenHarris
(newbie) Sun 15-May-16 20:02:22
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thx. I already have PlusNet FTTC at another property (not in Cornwall) and very happy with it. But PlusNet report (from OpenReach I assume) that fibre is not available in my area in Falmouth. It obviously IS since I've got it now but do BT have some form of monopoly in this area or is it possibly simply because all the ports are used in the cabinet? You have encouraged me to have another chat with PlusNet...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 20:10:27
Print Post

Plusnet don't officially offer FTTP

from what i've seen you need to get their ADSL service then upgrade to a FTTP trial

thats why it will say not available.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest
Standard User Storm_Force
(member) Sun 15-May-16 20:43:29
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Have you tried www.bt.com/myoffer ? Although I am still in contract I can recontracted for another 12 months via the link for £10 a month for unlimited fibre.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sun 15-May-16 21:34:47
Print Post

Ken

BT retail do not have a monopoly, any other ISP can also buy the FTTP service from Openreach BUT only a few do. Neither SKY or TalkTalk take the FTTP service despite all their froth about wanting Openreach to invest 10s of £b in providing FTTP.

At present the FTTP market appears to be too small for them to be interested even though it has over 250k premises passed.

In some constituencies over 10% of Premises are passed by FTTP of which yours is one of the highest Truro and Falmouth is 35% so many ISP have decided not to compete in your area! Camborne is 38.7%

Many people would love to have that penetration of FTTP in their area but it does reduce your choice of ISP at present, seems to be a choice of speed or choice!

Edited by kitcat (Sun 15-May-16 22:12:29)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-16 22:03:46
Print Post

You might want to look at some of the threads in their community forum:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-...
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Mon 16-May-16 05:36:56
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

You're not wrong but personally I'd consider the choice available with fttc a mirage.

You can buy an identical openreach product from a ton of different isps, that's like there being loads of car dealerships but they all only sell Nissan micras, it's just a different finance package where some give you unlimited miles and some don't.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-May-16 07:44:07
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

There is a lot more to an ISP than just the Openreach last mile connection. There are some big differences between the ISPs in a number of other ways.
Standard User KenHarris
(newbie) Mon 16-May-16 15:50:42
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Clicking: www.bt.com/myoffer and logging in to my account returns: "We've had a technical hitch. Have a look at our broadband packages page to see the offers we've got". Same as the link provided in BT's email to me. The "offers" appear to be standard pricing. My £7.50 20Gb limited contract ends 16 July and increasing to £21. I'm seeking unlimited, £10 would be great!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to