General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CarsCarpal
(newbie) Mon 23-May-16 15:39:27
Print Post

Researching property - Able to order FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi all, I have searched but only seem to find details of FTTPoD, which I think is a different beast.

The position is that I am looking to move house and viewed two properties at the weekend. One was on a 1Mbps EO line that is 4km away from the exchange (which is a crying shame as the house was utterly amazing), the other returns the follow result on the DSLChecker:

Screen Grab

The question I have is if I did buy the second property, am I actually able to order WBC FTTP and if so, how? Going via the BT website it suggests that I can "only" get speeds up 76Mbps.

Sorry of this is an obvious or well worn question!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-May-16 16:09:10
Print Post

Re: Researching property - Able to order FTTP?

[re: CarsCarpal] [link to this post]

Have looked at the area and it looks like some Exchange Only line have got lucky and seen native FTTP made available i.e. WBC FTTP

So Infinity 1,2 and 3,4 should be available to order, though install dates can be a slower than for VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CarsCarpal
(newbie) Mon 23-May-16 18:36:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Andrew, really appreciate it. Your referring to Infinity 4 has allowed me to find the phone number for what I think is a specific contact for ordering.

Now, if only I could somehow persuade them to install it at the first house! laugh

Edited by CarsCarpal (Mon 23-May-16 18:36:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Irby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-May-16 19:42:13
Print Post

If I was the vendor of the second house I would make damn sure the availability of FTTP 330MBPS was on the particulars!
Standard User CarsCarpal
(newbie) Mon 23-May-16 20:54:46
Print Post

[re: Irby] [link to this post]

I said the very same thing to my other half after reading Andrews reply!

The people there currently don't seem worried about being online but to me it is critical and having that sort of connection is a huge plus point.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-May-16 00:49:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarsCarpal:
Now, if only I could somehow persuade them to install it at the first house! laugh
Have you asked what either has at the moment? Things might be easier for you to get it if one already has any speed of Infinity, rather than ADSLx.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 24-May-16 00:50:43)

Standard User CarsCarpal
(newbie) Wed 25-May-16 10:38:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have you asked what either has at the moment? Things might be easier for you to get it if one already has any speed of Infinity, rather than ADSLx.

I have indeed! Both are currently running "basic" ADSL. Property 2 has the FTTP available. Property 1 is currently on an EO line which is approximately 4km from the exchange (according to the Kitz website) with the exchange showing on the Openreach site as being at ES status. The vendor there kindly ran a speedtest for me which reported approximately 2Mbps. There is zero mobile reception (for all networks) in the area and it would appear from my searching that every property connected to that exchange is on an EO line.

I guess in the mid/long term that Satellite broadband is my only real option there, at least for the next few years. Working quite a bit from home though I attend a lot of online meetings and have concerns over the latency involved.

Ultimately, Property 1 is our absolute favourite from the looks and setting, but the second one is much more practical for day to day living (shops, broadband etc..). If I could get FTTP to the first property though we would have already put in our offer by now. Bit sad I know...! blush
  Print Thread

Jump to