General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(member) Thu 26-May-16 11:25:45
Print Post

Vodafone work on street next to mine.

[link to this post]

There is some on going work on the street parallel to mine and when I pushed past it yesterday I noticed a roadwork sign with "AFL working on behalf of Vodafone" this intrigued me greatly so I took a photo on my phone for reference as there was a telephone number. I rang and spoke to a lady who took my query and rang me back after a few minutes to tell me it is work to "Excavate footway, verge and carriageway to lay duct and build bhambers" She told me it was to do with broadband provision.
The Cumbria County Council local roadworks map confirms this, work start date May 9th, end date May 31st From the junction of Moorfield Street to the junction of Bridgegate Avenue, Queries should be addressed to Vodafone quoting reference NX50216MAX031.

Now from my knowldge reading on here over the years does this mean that Vodafone are going to be putting there own fibre in the ground and cabinets on the streets in Barrow-in Furness?
We already have FTTC over most of Barrow, including my PCP, although we are still on ADSL2+.

To my knowledge Vodafone would be the first company to do any fibre related work other than BT/Openreach, we don't have cable in Barrow.

I checked on their website and FTTC up to 76 Mbps packages are available for our line so what do you think all this duct and chambers work relates to?

EE ADSL2+ 8 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-May-16 11:30:51
Print Post

Re: Vodafone work on street next to mine.

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Probably just part of the expansion of the C&W fibre backbone network.

The UK has numerous backbone networks and providers like to get traffic onto their own as the costs are then vastly cheaper than renting from others.

99.999% sure this is not a sudden FTTH or FTTC owned by Vodafone roll-out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GorillaWheels
(member) Thu 26-May-16 13:05:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. I wasn't really sure what it meant. So I take it then that Vodafone's FTTC won't be any different after this work, expansion of the backbone network doesn't improve speed or anything?

Dave

EE ADSL2+ 8 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-May-16 13:48:06
Print Post

Still the same connection speed, but will hop onto Vodafone fibre network at the exchange, which saves them money and thus might have better peak time performance. Take notice of the word might rather than guarantee.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-May-16 13:57:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by GorillaWheels:
Thanks Andrew. I wasn't really sure what it meant. So I take it then that Vodafone's FTTC won't be any different after this work, expansion of the backbone network doesn't improve speed or anything?

Dave

From the few ADSL2+ and FTTC connections i've seen running over Vodafone LLU, they're generally very good, excellent pings and no slow downs at peak times. I would move to them in a heartbeat if they let punters use their own router and gave out a static ip address on their FTTC packages.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
  Print Thread

Jump to