General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User barnabyuk
(newbie) Sat 28-May-16 11:08:53
Print Post

BT V Sky

[link to this post]

I am on fibre to cabinet and the cabinet is no more than 100 metres from my home. Can anyone authoritatively explain why BT gives me 75mbps and yet sky estimate that they can supply only 3.1mbps?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 11:59:15
Print Post

Re: BT V Sky *DELETED*

[re: barnabyuk] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 28-May-16 12:00:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 12:06:18
Print Post

Re: BT V Sky

What does this checker say for your phone number? In particular, the FTTC estimates and whether it is "Available" or some other text such as "Waiting list".

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-May-16 12:09:01
Print Post

How long has FTTC been available from your exchange, Sky may need to do some work at the exchange to install a linkl between the Fibre network and there network!

or as mentioned above it could be that the cabinet for your address is full or awaiting further capacity upgrades and Sky don't want to make use of the waiting list feature.

BTInfinity - 69000/20000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2 PENDING CEASE
Standard User DamBuilder
(newbie) Sat 28-May-16 12:34:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Using that checker how does one know if the line is clean or impacted?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-May-16 12:40:20
Print Post

[re: DamBuilder] [link to this post]

Until the service is live you don't, since impacted includes the effects of home wiring, which is usually under your control to resolve, along with other issues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User barnabyuk
(newbie) Sat 28-May-16 21:15:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for getting back to me so soon Roberto. FTTC says "Available" all the way down the list. Market B cabinet number 27. Poulton-le-Fylde
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 22:45:05
Print Post

Odd!

What did you submit to Sky? The phone number, the address, or just the postcode?

What does TalkTalk show if you submit the phone number to their system?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sun 29-May-16 00:49:00
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
How long has FTTC been available from your exchange, Sky may need to do some work at the exchange to install a linkl between the Fibre network and there network!

I would agree. Sky probably haven't installed a cablelink yet so can only offer ADSL2+. You get this occasionally and also the converse where Sky can offer FTTC but not ADSL because they don't have their kit at the local exchange but the fibre is coming from another exchange that does.
  Print Thread

Jump to