General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 28-May-16 14:13:46
Print Post

Ducting for FTTP and Copper

[link to this post]

Does anyone know what specification of ducting BT use for FTTP installations? Does it need to be made from a certain material, be a certain size or even made by a certain manufacturer? Presumably it just needs one or more drawstrings included when laid so BT can use these to pull the fibre later?

Also, can copper use the same duct as FTTP or should there be separate ducts?

Thanks!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 14:34:36
Print Post

Re: Ducting for FTTP and Copper

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

The "Key information" links on this page are where to start.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 28-May-16 22:04:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you - the website was very helpful. My understanding from this is that BT prefer the duct for the FTTP cable to come above ground outside the house and then go through the wall to the interior CSP but it is not clear that this is absolutely required - it would be much better for us if the ducting can come straight into the plant room.

Can I install the ducting into the plant room or will BT complain?

Thank you

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-May-16 22:14:42
Print Post

Each installation is different ..... So what's right for some, ain't for others.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 22:41:35
Print Post

I think because those are documents for developers, normally of whole estates (even if small), then it would make sense for the ducting to end outside so that all the external work could be done as required, with no need for access to the premises.

When somebody then orders FTTP access is of course required to do the internal work.

Is this building going to require multiple connections?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 28-May-16 22:43:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

On further reading, the FTTP guide says "For ALL single dwelling units (SDUs) duct must be terminated on the external surface of the property".

The building is just a single house so no need for multiple connections.

If I terminate the duct in the plant room (better visually for us) and then BT come to do the connection, will they complain/refuse to complete the installation? The plant room is within the main exterior walls of the house but has an external door and no internal doors.

Thank you!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 22:49:23
Print Post

Zarjaz is the man to answer that, but I have a question.

If the ducting goes into that plant room, would you intend the FTTP ONT and modem router to be in there as well, or further cabling into the living quarters? As there is no communicating door, the latter would seem wise.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 29-May-16 09:43:28)

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 28-May-16 22:59:56
Print Post

I was just thinking about that although for a different reason. At the moment, the FTTP CPS, ONT and modem are currently in our garage (which is being knocked down). My concern was that the plant room could fall below +5C (the door will be louvred for ventilation) but the current garage installation can also clearly fall below +5C today and BT were fine to install the equipment here so hopefully this is not a serious concern.

In terms of not having a connecting door, presumably this is a concern in case the modem needs to be rebooted, etc? Although it requires going outside, the plant room door is adjacent to another external door so I don't think this is a serious problem.

Given all this, I was planning on installing the CPS, ONT and modem in the plant room. If I am missing something, please let me know!

Thanks for all your help
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-May-16 23:09:49
Print Post

That's another one for Zarjaz. I can think of potential problems and solutions. He knows the possible solutions.

Do you have any wired connections to the router, which is where? Or is everything wireless?

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 28-May-16 23:11:13)

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sat 28-May-16 23:16:04
Print Post

It would all be wired - there would be a CAT6 connection in the plant room to connect the modem to the switch for the rest of the house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to