General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gtrman
(newbie) Mon 30-May-16 09:59:50
Print Post

FTTC enabled cabinet but no FTTC services offered

[link to this post]

I have a puzzling problem. My neighbour and I are both 1500m from Cabinet 9 at Llanidloes, which is new FTTC enabled. Wires down the same poles! He is offered VDSL2 (according to BT wholesale line checker). I am not. BT retail have been useless in finding out what the issue is. I have an expert friend has told me to ask BT retail for a tags search. I have yet to find anyone in BT retail who knows what this is. Will it help? What else can I do? My expert has suggested moving my line to a company able to provide customer service but I don't really want to lose the BT calls package at the moment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-May-16 10:42:38
Print Post

Re: FTTC enabled cabinet but no FTTC services offered

[re: gtrman] [link to this post]

At 1500m the key to the puzzle may be the speed estimates the neighbour is getting, i.e. they are not going to be superfast and if at the low end it may be that BT Wholesale/Openreach think that you might not get any benefit.

Have you looked at what all premises in the postcode say is available via BT Wholesale, do the speed ranges make sense or are you say the only one out of 12 not able to order, and what speed ranges are the others seeing?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-May-16 10:56:28
Print Post

The easiest way to check all the addresses in the postcode, as MrSaffron suggests, is to use the Address option in the BT Wholesale checker, but only enter the postcode. (Note, the Address option, not the Postcode one).

The Address checker then gives you a drop down list and you can check each in turn. (I right-click each and open in a new window which I then close after checking. Keeps my place in the list).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gtrman
(newbie) Mon 30-May-16 11:16:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As our local delivery drivers will attest (probably with some f words) our postcode covers quite a large geographical area at widely differing distances from the cabinet. It's rural. Thanks to MrSaffron for the suggestion re, the Address option. If I look up by address instead of phone number it shows as VDSL available to me so I suspect a data cock-up on the BT wholesale database..

My neighbour is bang next door with wires down same poles. My ADSL stats are not great but in the middle of the range for the distance I think. Next door is still on ADSL same as me, I will post stats for both shortly.

Anyhow looks like its not a technical issue, but a data management one.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 30-May-16 11:46:45
Print Post

Put up both sets of ADSL stats. They will not mean much in terms of what you can get VDSL wise, however they will show if the two lines are very very similar in characteristics. If it is possible, use your modem/hub on your neighbours line for his stats along side yours.

It is always possible that the pole to cabinet uses more than one cable and that they can be routed differently or of a different gauge which can lead to differing attenuation figures. If the two sets of ADSL figures are near identical then that issue can almost be ruled out.

One trick on address look-up is just enter te postcode, that then brings up every address and you can select in turn rather than entering each one yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-May-16 11:49:25
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
One trick on address look-up is just enter te postcode, that then brings up every address and you can select in turn rather than entering each one yourself.
Keep up at the back please wink.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 30-May-16 11:59:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And I only entered that as an after thought! Did the first bit, previewed, corrected spelling, preview again then "ahh, better tell him to ..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Arkitech
(regular) Mon 30-May-16 13:35:26
Print Post

Good luck, I'm having the same issue.

As soon as my cabinet went live at the end of March, all my neighbours could get fttc, but I can't. A brand new pcp cab and fttc cab were built for EO lines, and is about 30m away from my front door. My address says available, phone number doesn't.

According to my BDUK group all the work is finished in my area, so unless somehow I wasn't moved over from an EO line to the new cab then I'm assuming a records issue as well.

I've been trying to get this resolved since the start of April but getting nowhere sadly.

MrSaffron is looking into things for me with his connections, but nothing as of yet. Very frustrating though.
Standard User gtrman
(newbie) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:29:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My immediate neighbour got 0.7Mb/s and they are offered FTTC superfast.!
I get 1.5M bursting to 1.7M which is OK for 1500m I believe. All my neighbours that I checked are being offered Superfast so I think that the data from BT Openreach is probably wrong. I am having a tooth and claw battle to get BT retail to ask BT openreach what the issue is. I am being given stock answers such asl "there may not be room in the cabinet to give you superfast". I find this a bit hard to believe. BT retail seem to have time and energy to spin out my complaint but none to actually address it. Maybe will get more joy when it goes to arbitration. Is there any friendly person in BT Openreach who could look up status of Cabinet 9 Llanidloes and let me know whether, despite being newly installed, it is short of capacity?

Many thanks to all who have responded so far.

Would like to hear from anyone else who is in this situation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Jun-16 12:35:17
Print Post

Given postcode for the affected properties can usually figure out what is the probable cause

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to