General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:25:59
Print Post

BT Cabinets - FTTC vs Voice

[link to this post]

Guys, I'm just trying to find out how the placement of the FTTC vs Original Cabs works out in practice.

When I did a check for FTTC availability the BT checker came back with a cab number which I'm familiar with and it's the old type cab box around the corner from me that I'm 99% sure I'm served by. However short of a new FTTC type cab hiding behind a bush or behind hoardings (which is possible) there's no obvious FTTC cab in tandem with this old type cab.

Looking on a fairly up-to-date google streetview of my area it seems quite normal to find FTTC and the old type boxes in close proximity of each other which makes perfect sense.

So looking a little further a field in relation to my numbered cab box there's an FTTC box with another old type box around 30-40 metres away. Is it likely or common practice to link FTTC boxes to the old cabs even if they are not in close proximity to them. Or is 30-40 metres considered fairly close still?

Thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:36:36
Print Post

Re: BT Cabinets - FTTC vs Voice

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Normally within 50m of the PCP, but not always. Are you sure the cab you are looking at is your cab ?

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:43:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Normally within 50m of the PCP, but not always. Are you sure the cab you are looking at is your cab ?

Yes, I've heard the engineers over the years say it's just around the corner in so and so road, plus the cab is stenciled twice with a number which corresponds to the BT/BTOR Fibre lookup where it quotes the cab number.

This is the BT web address that states the cab number too and where I've obtained my info:-
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:44:59
Print Post

So here's the cab but the DSLAM is close but not instantly apparent.
It is in the alleyway next to No.15, (Not there when the photo was taken obviously)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-16 13:48:16
Print Post

In answer to the original question, Openreach has a team of planners ......
The DSLAM position is based on many things, proximity to a usable power supply, permission from local authorities, space and ductwork nearby, etc, etc,

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-16 14:07:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'll have to see if there is another Fibre cabinet hidden, although you can see where the BT ducting is and where the tarmac has been up and it's as if my old cab is connected to a huawei 288 ( as per cab pictures on Bob's website - RobertoS) some 40 metres away even though the huawei has an old cab like mine a few metres away from it too.

Courtesy of RobertoS.

This is my cab type and it's the same for all around the vicinity:-
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_0.html

and this is what the FTTC cab looks like about 40 metres away:-
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_2.html

Edited by Vorlon (Wed 08-Jun-16 14:08:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 08-Jun-16 14:24:43
Print Post

What is the number on the other old cab, and are you sure it's a BT one, not VM? Some also on my site. VM cabs have long numbers.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-16 14:36:51
Print Post

Hang on, are you saying you think that cannot be your cab because of the state of it ? Almost certainly wrong.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 08-Jun-16 17:52:27
Print Post

If it's within 50m like you say, then it most likely is your fibre cabinet. They don't have to be sat right next to each other. They can be on the opposite side of the road/round the corner, or indeed the next street away. It all depends on local area and what's available in terms of space, underground pipe works, power and sometimes permission, all of which have been mentioned above.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-16 20:53:28
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
If it's within 50m like you say, then it most likely is your fibre cabinet. They don't have to be sat right next to each other. They can be on the opposite side of the road/round the corner, or indeed the next street away. It all depends on local area and what's available in terms of space, underground pipe works, power and sometimes permission, all of which have been mentioned above.

I wondered if this could be the case and you've probably answered my question.

Just to clarify - My cab box looks as though it sits on it's own, is numbered in big letters (twice!) as per the BT checker is of the same number and is of the old type - this is definitely my cab (also confirmed by BTOR engineers dealing with previous faults).
So I'm guessing the FTTC cab that also has an old style cab next to it too and is approx 40metres up the road, basically serves my cab aswell.

It makes sense to me that one FTTC cab may serve more than one PCP if they are all within a certain distance whilst still within expected FTTC demand numbers. I have just been used to seeing new FTTC cabinets usually reside next to an established PCP's and assumed (wrongly it would seem) that was the way it was done.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to