General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nutrut
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-16 14:01:12
Print Post

FTTP Connection Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi all,

i have just been put on FTTP 330 as of end of may (it took over 6 months! but its here nowsmile )

I have been in contact with bt regarding speeds
- Off peak i get 240 - 310 download range typically 280+
- Peak times 4pm till midnight it has a range from 76 - 250 with it consistanly being under 200

i have been montering the connection since install, as of last week i have been doing it hourly and sending the information via the bt wholesale futher diagnostics button as i was informed by the technical department that this will collect evidence to send to wholesale as they would need proof.

Today i have been in contact again (they did not follow up this on Monday as promised, so i called) to be told that its contention and the only option i would have if I'm not happy is to downgrade to infinity 3 etc wholesale will refuse to do anything regardless of any proof. I did escalate as far as i could (the manager of the department) who basically told me the same thing.

In my small area it was EO lines that got FTTP covers 24 houses, i believe i am one of the first, the manifolds i can see are empty apart from my line. the rest of the area is on FTTC.

Has any one else experienced this? Is this something that is just "one of those things"

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank You
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-16 15:01:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP Connection Speeds

[re: Nutrut] [link to this post]

As its FTTP the connection speed is a fixed number, you are seeing throughput speed variations which will vary based on congestion and probably not just in your area, but more likely with the core networks of Openreach and the ISP side of BT Retail too.

If I recall the 330 Mbps service has a allocation of 80 Mbps over local network at peak times, so sounds like performing as expected.

Providers generally only buy their external capacity at a volume to cope with every customer getting 1 Mbps at peak times, up from the 100 to 200 Kbps of a few years ago.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nutrut
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-16 15:39:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank You MrSaffron exactly what i needed to know!

Would you happen to know if 80 Mbps allocation also applies to 200 Mbps connection as well? Just so i can work out if its better to downgrade or keep it the same etc

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-16 16:32:29
Print Post

Okay memory was playing tricks the 330 Mbps product has a downstream priority rate of 40 Mbps.

FTTP 80/20 is at 30 Mbps, so not sure about the 200 Mbps product, guess its 40 Mbps again.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nutrut
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-16 17:17:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank You MrSaffron
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Wed 08-Jun-16 23:23:18
Print Post

We are on FTTP, and have the 76/20 Package,
haven't seen any speed problems or congestion and it performs well all the time, but if I download something from some sites on the web (Via lan not wireless) download speeds vary sometimes but this could be congestion on the way to that data server, but overall we get 70-74Mbps all the time really, and we are not heavy downloaders, just got fttp for the stability and consistency, adsl was getting worse as years went on due to bad lines.
my wifi now faster than my 4G!
I do and don't feel we need to upgrade to faster speeds as we have coped on 12Mbps adsl for years so I think 70Mbps is more than enough!, the upload speed increase is amazing too 20-21Mbps, emails send straight away (even with photos), ebay photo's don't delay, and general haven't had any more moaning about slow internet smile,

BT FTTP Installed June 2016, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up.
Speedtest Result
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Wed 08-Jun-16 23:27:20
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Oh and we also have FIBRE Voice, so no copper anymore smile, crystal clear and phone is instant in ringing now

BT FTTP Installed June 2016, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up.
Speedtest Result
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 09-Jun-16 10:26:43
Print Post

I think you become much more aware of contention with an FTTP connection as you don't suffer from the normal DSL degradation problems. You might be able to get BT to improve the back haul if you complain, but I expect it will be hard work.

I am fairly certain that Gigaclear have improved my connection.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to