General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-16 16:59:44
Print Post

FTTP issues

[link to this post]

Hi, i have been having some real issues with my fttp service from bt recently. It was installed around 3 months ago and from the off the speed was all over the place.. one minute it would be 80/20, then another minute it would be 20/10.. sometimes i was getting speedtests of around 0.2 mbps. So i got in touch with bt. They sent round 3 engineers all of whom said it was not a network issue and was likely a capacity issue. after the 3rd engineer bt finally said they would move our virtual path to a low heat network. this was a week ago.. the internet dropped that night and hasn't come back. i phone bt and they say that bt wholesale have resolved the issue and completed the work swapping us over to the new network. i explain that we have no internet and they give me the same response each time - we will try to get in touch with bt wholesale and find out.. for a week. anyone else had anything like this in terms of the fttp service from bt. i'm wondering do i have to pay for these 3 months of internet that hasn't actually worked at all.. i feel somewhat peeved at the idea of giving bt £100 for 3 months of phonecalls and pointless engineer visits.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Jun-16 17:06:51
Print Post

Re: FTTP issues

[re: mr12345] [link to this post]

Hot virtual paths i.e. too much traffic for the size of the path is not unheard of, as are sometimes the paths being configured too small.

In terms of paying, its pay and then claim back. If it is a simple no data transfer possible for three months, then the three months plus compensation would be expected, but as you suggest it is variable then actual amounts are more open to discussion e.g. is a variable speed from sold up to 76 Mbps down to 30 Mbps the same amount of inconvenience as when it drops to 0.2 Mbps, and how long are these drops e.g. do you go for days without being able to use the connection, or is it just 2 to 3 video buffer symbols a night?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-16 17:32:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

it was always fluctuating. the average speed we were getting was 20/20, considering i'm paying for bt infinity 2 package i thought this was unacceptable as i could pay for the infinity 1 package and still expect double that speed. the drops in speed would happen regularly and often it dropped to less than a mb at least 10 times a day every day. generally at peak times when the family were using it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jun-16 18:01:58
Print Post

During any of the engineer visits has anyone tried replacing the router ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Jun-16 18:22:16
Print Post

Sounds silly - but you did make sure that everyone had stopped everything on their devices? Very easy for someone to forget about a background download?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jun-16 20:33:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sounds silly

Like my suggestion about the router, but went to a high level complaint, customer on a 330 FTTP circuit, speeds all over the place, both wired and wireless ........ In the end tried a different router, because none of the others had, and bingo .... was in the area a month later and the punter happened to pass me whilst I was working in the street, the service hadn't missed a beat since the router had been replaced.

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-16 22:50:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

yeah, first engineer replaced all the equipment, modem and the ont. the second and third both did tap3 tests while all other devices were off. the speeds varied from 11mbps to 40mbps.. the light level was 15 each time so the engineers ruled out a bad splice and they all said that it was a communications provider issue.. from that the issue was escalated to the swansea caseman. after another engineer visit they (bt wholesale) finally conceded that there was a capacity issue and decided to move us to another network. after this we have had no internet even though bt wholesale have told the swansea caseman that the work was completed already. anyway received another phonecall from bt after posting here telling me another engineer will visit to find out why we have no internet. it's crazy all of this back and forth between bt wholesale and openreach via bt retail. it seems nobody wanted to take responsibility for whatever was the problem. and now we've been without any internet for a week and the swansea case man was trying to get in touch with bt wholesale to find out if they had moved us to the other virtual path. only this afternoon did they finally get in touch and were told that all work had been done and they can't see why it's not working from their end. hopefully it'll be resolved tomorrow. but i'm not holding my breath.
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:48:02
Print Post

You could just connect your PC directly to the ONT and create a PPPoE session from the PC to test if the router at fault.

Standard User mr12345
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-16 16:48:01
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies, yeah the problem was that when bt changed the virtual path they couldn't assign a new bbeu number so it took an openreach engineer to visit and phone up his helpdesk for them to assign it. i suppose changing virtual paths is fairly rare so it's probably not an issue bt need to solve.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Fri 10-Jun-16 23:05:03
Print Post

So is it all working for you now?

BT FTTP Installed June 2016, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up.
Speedtest Result
  Print Thread

Jump to