General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rogerowalters
(learned) Fri 10-Jun-16 15:50:21
Print Post

Cost of Fibre Broadband Service

[link to this post]

Can anybody tell me if any providers of a FTTC service do not charge a premium for a Market A exchange?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jun-16 16:13:17
Print Post

Re: Cost of Fibre Broadband Service

[re: rogerowalters] [link to this post]

BT, Sky, TalkTalk and many others.

Off top of my head only ones with regional pricing for FTTC are PlusNet and EE.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-16 16:25:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought Talk Talk did charge a premium if they didn't have a presence at the exchange. I only mention it because my parents were with TT before they LLU'd their local exchange and there was a £15 a month off-network charge on their bills.

When I queried it I was told it was a charge they levied because they had to use BT's network instead of their own.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jun-16 17:34:25
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

For ADSL2+, but for FTTC they simply don't sell it unless the handover node is at an exchange they have their own backhaul from.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Jun-16 17:56:07
Print Post

Do they even sell (to new customers) BTW-based ADSLx these days?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jun-16 18:55:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If brain has not been fried looking at postcodes, I believe they are all with Fleur Telecom now

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Jun-16 19:29:24
Print Post

Ah. Thanks smile.

Ummm.

So just a specially set up company to act as a Daisy retail arm, as per your theory in February 2015.

Share capital £100 held entirely by Daisy Group. First accounts, to 31 March 2016, due 17 September.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jun-16 22:53:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by rogerowalters:
Can anybody tell me if any providers of a FTTC service do not charge a premium for a Market A exchange?

FTTC is different, that fibre cabinet you see on the street, it probably does not go back / handover to your market A exchange, instead it is likely wired to a much larger exchange which has TalkTalk LLU, Sky LLU etc. This is why there is no premium on the pricing, as the connection is effectively on an exchange that is not market A.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 10-Jun-16 22:55:07)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Jun-16 15:33:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When Ofcom last considered the wholesale broadband market, and created markets A and B, they refused to consider the effect of VDSL2 cabinets in an-otherwise market A exchange. Too early to see the effects, they reckoned.

Wholesale price controls therefore remain in effect there.

However, there is nothing that forces an ISP to charge higher retail prices in market A; some do, some don't. It is their own choice, and they get to set their own internal rules.

And, because the rules are their own, they also get to choose whether to make exceptions in cases like this. There can be no blanket statement.

I strongly suspect that every fibre head-end exchange (there are approx 1,200 of them) is going to be market B (there are approx 2,400 of these).

If that is the case, then every FTTC customer is connected to a market B head end. There would be no need to sell FTTC at a higher price ... yet Plusnet still add a £7.50 premium.
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Sun 12-Jun-16 16:47:30
Print Post

yes, Origin broadband

https://www.originbroadband.com/packages/broadband-a...
  Print Thread

Jump to