General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-16 23:23:58
Print Post

Fibre finally available! BT Infinity 2 self-install..?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Some of you may remember a month or two ago I began to get impatient with the fibre availability in my area. Checkers were showing different results etc.

After some hassling, back and forth emails with Openreach, Digital Scotland and our very own Mr. Saffron (and others on the Forum thank you!), this past Monday the DSLchecker began to show my landline as AVAILABLE for FTTC.

Without a second of a thought, I jumped straight on it and opted to go for BT Infinity 2, ordered it up (self install) and have been given an activation date of 15/06/16. As excited as I was, I am starting to doubt whether choosing self install was the correct choice. I assumed all I would need to do was plug and play the new HH5 when I recieved it.

However, after reading up a little more I have come across people changing faceplates to go along with their new setup.

I am wondering if this is something (the only thing) that I will have to do on my own? And if it will involve changing wires or just fitting in a new faceplate (possibly an mk2 or mk3?).

Also, as I ordered with self-install am I immediately put onto a "Range B" type connection? If so, is this a problem, will I notice any difference with speeds as I should recieve the max as the cabinet is only just across the road?

I have posted a photo below of my setup as it is now on an ADSL2(+) connection, and would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this, with any advice and/or recommendations.

http://s33.postimg.org/b57ah0rz3/image.jpg

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Jun-16 00:57:04
Print Post

Re: Fibre finally available! BT Infinity 2 self-install..?

[re: Mic8393] [link to this post]

No one is put onto a range B connection, you will get the speeds that your line and setup can provide.

If that socket is the SOLE telephone socket in the property then (a) new faceplates won't fit (b) they aren't needed as they are designed to reduce the effect of extension wiring, so if you don't have any extensions no point and thus a microfilter is fine

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 01:23:56
Print Post

But, I looked at your picture a few minutes ago and want to add to what Andrew said. If that isn't the sole socket and there is modern master (NTE5) elsewhere, is there any way you could place the new router at the master socket and run an Ethernet cable to the room the pictured socket is in? Using an extension socket is likely to lower your connection speed but rarely dramatically.

Also if there is an NTE5A and you have the ring wire connected at the master you need to remove the ring wire there. The ring wire is a significant coster of connection speed. Far more important than which socket you use and the type of filter. See this page.

The optimum setup if there is an NTE5A elsewhere is to add a Mk3 interstitial filter at it, put the router there as mentioned above, and run CAT 5 cable to the pictured room. If you do that you can leave the ring wire connected. Other almost as effective modifications are possible. It would be be a good idea to describe what sockets there are smile. One of the reasons for the B range of estimates is to cover non-optimised home wiring and avoid speed complaints that aren't easily fended off.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 11-Jun-16 08:20:23
Print Post

My advice would be to try it out using your existing setup using a micro-filter. Then look at the stats and you are happy with the speed and stability then no problem. There is a stats page on the HH5 and there are plenty of people on the forum that will be able totell you if you can do better.

If that's the only phone socket in the house, then there's no issue. If you have any extensions (and looking at the photo there's a wire emerging towards the lower left), that my be to extension sockets although it could be the incoming line. With that sort of master extensions (unless wired in by BT) really ought to be plugged into the socket rather than hard-wired.

nb. whatever happens it will be working.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 10:05:42
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Ack! I meant to include that the OP should just suck it and see first, as you say smile.

I don't agree though with your comment about the wiring in of extensions by BT being trouble free, unless you meant as part of an FTTC install. As for plugin extensions, a very bad idea if between a wired in socket and a filter closer to the modem.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sat 11-Jun-16 16:13:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If that socket is the SOLE telephone socket in the property then (a) new faceplates won't fit (b) they aren't needed as they are designed to reduce the effect of extension wiring, so if you don't have any extensions no point and thus a microfilter is fine

I have attached a photo below of what my current setup is. Not all that savvy so please bear with.

Photo 1: I believe this is the master socket in the living room?.. in which a microfilter is attached, with only a wire from the HomeHub to the MODEM connection point of the filter.

Link to image: http://tinyurl.com/zfo8p9x

Photo 2: The extension socket through the house, in which there is also a microfilter but only the PHONE is connected to that one (the main landline telephone).

Link to image: http://tinyurl.com/hlaogbx

None of this was wired by myself as I still live with my parents, and it has been quite some time since I can remember having someone round fiddling with all these wires.

If anyone can further on this with what I should do, or if it's all good to go could you let me know, thanks!

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Also if there is an NTE5A and you have the ring wire connected at the master you need to remove the ring wire there. The ring wire is a significant coster of connection speed. Far more important than which socket you use and the type of filter. See this page.

Should I be removing the ring-bell wire (if it's there); given my situation above? (HomeHub connected to one microfilter, telephone connected to another microfilter on an extension).

Thanks again guys.
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sat 11-Jun-16 16:20:12
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
If that's the only phone socket in the house, then there's no issue. If you have any extensions (and looking at the photo there's a wire emerging towards the lower left), that my be to extension sockets although it could be the incoming line. With that sort of master extensions (unless wired in by BT) really ought to be plugged into the socket rather than hard-wired.

The wire on the left was just the mains cables from either the phone or the Homehub. I can't seem to find any wires (visible) running to the 'extension socket' through the house. Is it possible that these are wired from the back of the faceplate and through the walls of my house etc?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 16:25:05
Print Post

Those both look like extensions to me, but can't be sure without seeing the other side of the circuit board of the second. Can you see where the line comes into the house and where it goes from there?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 16:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mic8393:
The wire on the left was just the mains cables from either the phone or the Homehub. I can't seem to find any wires (visible) running to the 'extension socket' through the house. Is it possible that these are wired from the back of the faceplate and through the walls of my house etc?
Looking at the picture in your opening post I think he was referring to the one I would say is on the right, looking at it. White, and curving into the skirting board.

Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sat 11-Jun-16 16:43:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Those both look like extensions to me, but can't be sure without seeing the other side of the circuit board of the second. Can you see where the line comes into the house and where it goes from there?

Sir, I believe you are absolutely correct! For the 23 years I've lived in this house I have never once noticed this MASTER SOCKET in the most stupid of places, right behind a door in the lobby! Asked my mother and she believes BT rewired this to its current position after they put up false walls in the living room to create a bedroom - many years ago.

Please see the photos below:
http://s33.postimg.org/4y1o7cpun/image.jpg
http://s33.postimg.org/61qdx1zvj/image.jpg

Now that master socket is in a stupid place where a router cannot be placed. Is it possible to have this all rewired or are we just as well using the extension we have been using for the past who knows how many years..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to