General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 12:13:54
Print Post

Re: UK Areas to See 1Gbps FTTP Broadband Roll

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But in that worst case, not having taken FTTP now would have made no difference.

True but having paid for FTTPoD, I'll be annoyed If I have to pay again to upgrade the speed. Is it right that gfast will deliver up to 500mbps? It would be very odd to leave people on the 'superior' FTTP network capped at a lower speed, wouldn't it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Jun-16 12:31:04
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

You said in an earlier post "Having got FTTP connected on the basis that I would be future proofed...."

With respect, I suggest doing any such thing was the precise opposite of future-proofing. You should only have done that if you needed it at the time. And by "need", I mean it was vital to have it.

There is no such thing in the IT world or the internet as future-proofing. The nearest on the internet at the moment is perhaps IPv6, but in twenty years time or less that could quite possibly run out of addresses. At least for use in the way currently envisaged.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-16 13:35:30
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

You'll be fine. The kit you connect to and through is fine for 1Gb.

The changes are for deployment and commercial reasons within Openreach rather than capacity.

Openreach aren't going to be replacing splitters for 1Gb, the kit in your home receives data at 2.4Gb and transmits at 1.2Gb.

The splitter hardware is more about ease of deployment, it's connectorised rather than all spliced, and the upgrades in the exchange about delivering 10Gb backhauls rather than the current 1Gb. The kit you connect through can be retrofitted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 15:44:00
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
You'll be fine. The kit you connect to and through is fine for 1Gb.

The changes are for deployment and commercial reasons within Openreach rather than capacity.

Openreach aren't going to be replacing splitters for 1Gb, the kit in your home receives data at 2.4Gb and transmits at 1.2Gb.

The splitter hardware is more about ease of deployment, it's connectorised rather than all spliced, and the upgrades in the exchange about delivering 10Gb backhauls rather than the current 1Gb. The kit you connect through can be retrofitted.

That's reassuring. We'll see what happens I guess.

Thanks very much
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 15:47:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You said in an earlier post "Having got FTTP connected on the basis that I would be future proofed...."

With respect, I suggest doing any such thing was the precise opposite of future-proofing. You should only have done that if you needed it at the time. And by "need", I mean it was vital to have it.

There is no such thing in the IT world or the internet as future-proofing. The nearest on the internet at the moment is perhaps IPv6, but in twenty years time or less that could quite possibly run out of addresses. At least for use in the way currently envisaged.

Fair point - I needed/wanted it at the time but justified the expense on the basis that it was the best, purest form of broadband so I would always have access to the highest speed if I needed/wanted it. We'll see how the roll-out goes and what is on offer to existing FTTP customers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to