General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:27:55
Print Post

UK Areas to See 1Gbps FTTP Broadband Roll

[link to this post]

BT confirms FTTP for the following areas, whether it will come to my part of Bath, we will have to wait & see.

* Bath
* Bradford
* Bristol
* Liverpool
* Manchester
* Salford
* Westminster, Holborn and the City (London)

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-conf...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:29:00
Print Post

Re: UK Areas to See 1Gbps FTTP Broadband Roll

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

This is mainly SME areas and those without a fibre option of some description already, so if you are a consumer I'd not get too excited yet.

http://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/o...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:30:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's a start smile

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 15-Jun-16 10:34:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-16 10:51:34
Print Post

It does also state "The expansion of the FTTP footprint will also eventually benefit hundreds of thousands of adjacent residential homes in the targeted areas"
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-16 11:23:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
This is mainly SME areas and those without a fibre option of some description already, so if you are a consumer I'd not get too excited yet.

http://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/o...

Good start, however:

The first phase of the deployment focuses on areas which boast strong science and technology sectors, including the Bristol and Bath technology hub and the cities which are integral to the ‘Northern Powerhouse’.

The biggest economy in Yorkshire is by quite some way Leeds, Openreach smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jun-16 11:30:13
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Eventually of course means by 2020, so hence why I am a bit more pragmatic about saying good news for consumers.

If you live in a flat above a shop on a high street, or as with some science parks that have a little bit of new build linked alongside then yes hope is sooner rather than later.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Jun-16 11:50:39
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
It does also state "The expansion of the FTTP footprint will also eventually benefit hundreds of thousands of adjacent residential homes in the targeted areas"

Do you reckon we will ever see BT/OR in the coming years buy companies like Hyperoptic, KCom and Gigaclear,etc so to increase their own FTTP coverage at a faster pace.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 15-Jun-16 12:05:59)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-16 11:52:44
Print Post

Do you mean BT/OR buying out those companies? If so then I suspect Ofcom/Monopolies commission would block any such move to reduce competition.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 15-Jun-16 12:06:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Do you mean BT/OR buying out those companies? If so then I suspect Ofcom/Monopolies commission would block any such move to reduce competition.

Yes, buy.
Have edit my post.
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-16 12:10:17
Print Post

Eventually of course means by 2020, so hence why I am a bit more pragmatic about saying good news for consumers.

As with the original FTTC deployment patience is going to be a virtue.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jun-16 12:27:23
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

At least they are not describing the cities as Gigabit cities which places like Peterborough and York already are

(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-16 12:40:53
Print Post

At least they are not describing the cities as Gigabit cities which places like Peterborough and York already are

I have memories of Homechoice mentioning 2Gb broadband. This was actually a reference to the 2 1Gb backhauls at the exchange.

However at least they actually built with rings, which is uncommon now for cost purposes. IPTV services, telephony services now can happily be at the end of 10+ exchange daisy chains with zero resilience on the circuits between exchanges or their termination.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jun-16 18:01:35
Print Post

If you live in a flat above a shop on a high street, or as with some science parks that have a little bit of new build linked alongside then yes hope is sooner rather than later.

*** Start of Rant ***
All this just makes me laugh, like we have all the FTTP hardware installed and only one home 4 doors down that is connected to our phone pole and using our FTTP hardware can and is using FTTP, yet BTOR say not available.

So if they cannot even make a completed install that is live available for the lines in that chamber there is probably no chance in them installing FTTP by 2020.

I am getting rather fed up seeing other areas that are a lot harder to reach get fibre when our install that has been completed since December 2011 which is live due to a single home using it, to be fobbed off by BT and BTOR.

And to make thing worse, BT (our ISP) and Openreach are no longer answering my emails.
*** End of Rant ***

We have been very patient about all this, but enough is enough, BT are taking the [censored] mick, they all know its live and they all just lie about it and keep fobbing us all off, and when we prove its all live they all go quiet and no longer respond to us.

Paul
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sun 19-Jun-16 18:35:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nightglow:
BT confirms FTTP for the following areas, whether it will come to my part of Bath, we will have to wait & see.

* Bath
* Bradford
* Bristol
* Liverpool
* Manchester
* Salford
* Westminster, Holborn and the City (London)

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-conf...

Presumably people who have FTTP today will be able to get 1Gbps if we want it? The physical FTTP rollout in these new areas is not more capable than other FTTP rollouts?

Thanks!
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-16 19:45:03
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

I wouldn't bank on it. I'd expect there to be differences in the head end and splitter hardware
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sun 19-Jun-16 22:41:54
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
I wouldn't bank on it. I'd expect there to be differences in the head end and splitter hardware

Presumably the head end is relatively easy to change but the splitter hardware is underground at some point so difficult/expensive to change?

Having got FTTP connected on the basis that I would be future proofed, I will be quite annoyed if I don't have the option for the maximum speed (in case I ever need it!)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Jun-16 23:09:01
Print Post

But in that worst case, not having taken FTTP now would have made no difference.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 19-Jun-16 23:09:22)

Standard User Westyfield2
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-16 15:48:13
Print Post

Also interested in Bath.

Wondering if the bit about Bristol and Bath technology hub means they're only doing that or if anything in the cities is being done too?
And whether the bit about "businesses that don’t have access to fibre broadband from Openreach today" means they won't bother with the FTTP if there's existing FTTC nearby?

Edited by Westyfield2 (Mon 20-Jun-16 15:50:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jun-16 16:10:40
Print Post

[re: Westyfield2] [link to this post]

On the FTTC nearby, this most likely means that cabinets serving industrial areas (which are often smaller in terms of lines and a worse speed profile than a residential area) which are not enabled yet, may skip FTTC and be straight FTTP areas.

Standard User M100
(regular) Mon 20-Jun-16 23:48:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
The biggest economy in Yorkshire is by quite some way Leeds, Openreach smile

Despite being the place in 1984 where BT installed the very first blown fibre between exchange buildings quite honestly Openreach couldn't give a monkeys chuff about even completing 'universal' FTTC in Leeds let alone anything better. Sure they'll jump at the chance to wire up the endless newbuild ghettos and premises by the river with broadband x times faster than the speed of light but go a few miles out and the coverage is very patchy. Some places might have beardy broadband but that is a monopoly and there are many that to this day refuse to line the pockets of those that systematically destroyed perfectly fine pavements with their cable network all those years ago.
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 12:13:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But in that worst case, not having taken FTTP now would have made no difference.

True but having paid for FTTPoD, I'll be annoyed If I have to pay again to upgrade the speed. Is it right that gfast will deliver up to 500mbps? It would be very odd to leave people on the 'superior' FTTP network capped at a lower speed, wouldn't it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Jun-16 12:31:04
Print Post

You said in an earlier post "Having got FTTP connected on the basis that I would be future proofed...."

With respect, I suggest doing any such thing was the precise opposite of future-proofing. You should only have done that if you needed it at the time. And by "need", I mean it was vital to have it.

There is no such thing in the IT world or the internet as future-proofing. The nearest on the internet at the moment is perhaps IPv6, but in twenty years time or less that could quite possibly run out of addresses. At least for use in the way currently envisaged.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-16 13:35:30
Print Post

You'll be fine. The kit you connect to and through is fine for 1Gb.

The changes are for deployment and commercial reasons within Openreach rather than capacity.

Openreach aren't going to be replacing splitters for 1Gb, the kit in your home receives data at 2.4Gb and transmits at 1.2Gb.

The splitter hardware is more about ease of deployment, it's connectorised rather than all spliced, and the upgrades in the exchange about delivering 10Gb backhauls rather than the current 1Gb. The kit you connect through can be retrofitted.

Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 15:44:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
You'll be fine. The kit you connect to and through is fine for 1Gb.

The changes are for deployment and commercial reasons within Openreach rather than capacity.

Openreach aren't going to be replacing splitters for 1Gb, the kit in your home receives data at 2.4Gb and transmits at 1.2Gb.

The splitter hardware is more about ease of deployment, it's connectorised rather than all spliced, and the upgrades in the exchange about delivering 10Gb backhauls rather than the current 1Gb. The kit you connect through can be retrofitted.

That's reassuring. We'll see what happens I guess.

Thanks very much
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-16 15:47:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You said in an earlier post "Having got FTTP connected on the basis that I would be future proofed...."

With respect, I suggest doing any such thing was the precise opposite of future-proofing. You should only have done that if you needed it at the time. And by "need", I mean it was vital to have it.

There is no such thing in the IT world or the internet as future-proofing. The nearest on the internet at the moment is perhaps IPv6, but in twenty years time or less that could quite possibly run out of addresses. At least for use in the way currently envisaged.

Fair point - I needed/wanted it at the time but justified the expense on the basis that it was the best, purest form of broadband so I would always have access to the highest speed if I needed/wanted it. We'll see how the roll-out goes and what is on offer to existing FTTP customers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to