General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User upnorthal
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 08:35:30
Print Post

Sky Fibre Pro

[link to this post]

Hi

I've recently connected to Sky Fibre Unlimited on their 40/10 standard package.

My connection speed on the above was 38 down and 9 up pretty consistently.

Having just discovered they actually do a Pro package which offers 79/20 - I signed up for this last night. For some strange reason they don't actively advertise this - you have to phone up for it. The first time I phoned I was told I didn't need it and that having a static IP would be a bad thing - although they didn't know why it was a bad thing!. I was also told there was an additional £50 activation fee as another Openreach Engineer had to attend the cabinet. I tried to argue that surely the cabinet is just a patch panel - and seeing as I am already patched into Fibre - presumably its just a software profile or something that needs altering.

Anyway, I phoned again later yesterday and was told by another operator there was no additional activation fee. The order was put through.

This morning on a speed test I got 75 download and 18.5 upload. I tried a little later and now I am only getting 38 download (same as the 40/10) and 18.5 upload

My stats are

Downstream Connection: 79987
Line Attenuation 16.7 dB
Noise Margin: 10.3 dB

Are those stats bad - meaning I should stick to the 40/10 package? Perhaps the test I did this morning that returned a 75 download was just a freak!

Cheers
Al
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 17-Jun-16 08:44:43
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Pro

[re: upnorthal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by upnorthal:
This morning on a speed test I got 75 download and 18.5 upload. I tried a little later and now I am only getting 38 download (same as the 40/10) and 18.5 upload

My stats are

Downstream Connection: 79987
Line Attenuation 16.7 dB
Noise Margin: 10.3 dB

Are those stats bad - meaning I should stick to the 40/10 package? Perhaps the test I did this morning that returned a 75 download was just a freak!
No, you should get full speed. I have similar stats to you and get full 80/20 speed.

How are you testing the speed?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User upnorthal
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 08:56:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi

I was running tests on speedtest.net

Is there something better I should use?

I was quite shocked at the fair high connection speed. I assumed I had a long cable rUn from the cabinet. It's all underground plus I'm probably one of the initial connections in our village. (I was stalking the status on the cabinet daily) smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jun-16 09:09:17
Print Post

What about using Thinkbroadband test?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jun-16 09:15:23
Print Post

There should be no fee to move between profiles, and indeed no engineer needed its software based. Not sure why they would charge you.

Standard User upnorthal
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-16 09:30:59
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
There should be no fee to move between profiles, and indeed no engineer needed its software based. Not sure why they would charge you.

I genuinely got the impression they didn't want me to upgrade. As if she was trying to give me a canned response. No idea why that would be. Perhaps I took it the wrong way at least I'm on the product now.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 17-Jun-16 09:38:02
Print Post

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5410670004.png

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 17-Jun-16 09:40:07)

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 17-Jun-16 10:39:46
Print Post

Sky are weird, did the same with me tried telling me I didn't need it, you would think they would want more money.

The Fibre Pro service is excellent and in my opinion well worth the premium. I connect at:

Downstream Upstream
79999 kbps 19999 kbps

Never had any slow down whatsoever, love having a static IP and the dedicated support is superb.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jun-16 10:53:33
Print Post

It is mainly because they cannot offer fancy deals on sky fibre pro... At least that's what I've been told.

Customers who feel they're getting a good deal often stay longer.
Standard User RossMcG
(member) Fri 17-Jun-16 11:18:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I ordered sky fibre (was on sky adsl) then realised BT offered a faster packaged. Called sky to cancel the order and they told me about sky pro. I mentioned the free channels etc that BT offer and I got sky pro for the same price as the standard fibre package for a year. (£20 as opposed to the £30) - Top tip try it out smile

Strange that they say they offer a static IP, for the first few weeks i constantly changed IP, seems stable now and the line syncs at perfect speed. Must have been testing the line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to