General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jun-16 12:22:20
Print Post

Re: VDSL Modem/Routers - Your Favourites?

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

G.INP and Vectoring are the two desires

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jun-16 12:51:23
Print Post

You seem to be missing the point about the SSIDs of the two frequency ranges on the router.

Adding a wifi dongle with a different SSID would naturally give a super wifi to kit connected to that dongle's wifi.

It seems the duplicate SSIDs on the router wifi services are conflicting with each other. Reported many times on the BT versions of this hub. Terrible wifi was the complaint. Users who changed the SSID on one of them found it solved the problem and the wifi on both ranges was fine.

On my ASUS router I separated mine. I simply added a 5 to the end of it on the 5GHz one so I could easily identify which was which when choosing which to connect to smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jun-16 13:43:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have tried every combination wth the Routers Wifi but there still remains issues particularly with my Broadcom WiFi laptop Chipet.
As I explained on a previous post where I have tried:-

1) UnSyncing the two wifi Frequencies and renaming as neccessary.
2) Altering the drop down menu "Caps" and trying at each Wifi speed type (which indicates the speed cap)
3) Altering the prefered WiFi 2.4Ghz channels and trying at 1,6,11 and settling at channel 6.

Resyncing 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ to same ssid and testing performance with various Wifi Dongles, some which will work on 5Ghz and some that were 2.4Ghz only I have no issues, which has always been the case.

However the laptop which only supports 2.4Ghz Wifi and has a broadcom chipset just doesn't like the router and manifests its issues by locking up browser pages when several are open until they time out.
It would be interesting to know what the issue is and I'm interested in peoples feedback, however as per the title of this post I'd be more grateful for alternative good routers.

You mention an Asus Router RobertoS, is that a full VDSL2 router and if so which one? If so does it support the features Andrew mentions?
I've been very impressed with Asus Routers and with the way the pound is going, now might be the time to buy!

Edited by Vorlon (Fri 24-Jun-16 13:45:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jun-16 13:52:43
Print Post

Ah, I don't think you mentioned renaming the frequencies. Assuming you do mean the SSIDs then yes, you've covered it.

My ASUS didn't have a built-in modem, and it died on me in a fairly short time.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jun-16 13:56:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
G.INP and Vectoring are the two desires

Andrew have just been looking at the basic TPLink VDSL2 Router TD-W9970 and unlike the TD-W9980 it's full specs list show it supports:-
VDSL2
ITU-T G.993.2
ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W99...

with the TD-W9980 specs indicating:-
VDSL2
ITU-T G.993.2
ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W99...

I'm guessing the current TD-W9970 might be of a newer version of the model and hence although a budget VDSL2 Router supports more standards than it's more expensive TD-W9980?
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jun-16 14:01:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ah, I don't think you mentioned renaming the frequencies. Assuming you do mean the SSIDs then yes, you've covered it.

My ASUS didn't have a built-in modem, and it died on me in a fairly short time.

I've used my Asus DSL-N55U adsl2+ wifi modem since Feb 2014 (just looked it up) and with Idnet and seriously I've had no issues on any aspect of DSL or Wifi. I love the Asus Interface and the available information.
Equally I quite like the TP-Link products as they appear to be good value for money, plus TPLink don't use OEM's apparently.

EDIT: On a positive note, my Steam downloads have gone from a 1.7MB/s to 4.5MB/s, with some games coming in around the 50GB mark installation is a lot quicker.

Edited by Vorlon (Fri 24-Jun-16 14:14:29)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 14:32:19
Print Post

When I finally manage to obtain an FTTC service, I'll be using the Zyxel VMG8924-B10a gateway I'm using on my ADSL service now.
I picked up the non 5GHz AC version of the Zyxel last year in my last house for the same reason following some research - mainly from kitz.co.uk. The opportunity came up to get the 8924 cheap so I snapped one up. It's worked wonders on my ADSL connection eeking another 600 - 800kb/s on the DS over my Billion I was using before and rock solid stability. A number of reports from users on FTTC connections have reported similar experiences with 2+ Mb/s increases.

Support via FW updates seems to be pretty good too. Although the FW releases aren't without their issues...

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: IFTN
Modem/ router: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Attenuation:25.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 11635kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Fri 24-Jun-16 14:41:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jun-16 15:28:44
Print Post

W9970 is a better broadcom chipset that supports more of the standards, so while the wireless is not so good it will give a better modem experience.

The W9980 concentrates a bit more on the wireless side of things e.g. dual band

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jun-16 18:05:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll take note on the specifications of VDSL2 routers to ensure the ones I'm looking at support them.
Standard User connormill
(member) Sun 26-Jun-16 10:42:38
Print Post

I am still using the Openreach supplied HG612, this is connected to a Ubiquiti edgeRouter POE which gives me POE out ports to my UniFi AC Access Points all over the house. One port is also run to an 8 port switch behind the TV for the playstation / Nvidia shield / TV etc

Perhaps a little overkill for some, but I install Ubiquiti gear for a living so I know the kit inside out

Edited by connormill (Sun 26-Jun-16 11:02:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to